Author Topic: Hi I'm Eschirm.  (Read 4748 times)

eschirm

• Miniature Nerd Terrier
  • Level 1: Bizz
    • View Profile
Hi I'm Eschirm.
« on: June 07, 2019, 10:08:28 PM »
I don't really have much to say about me - I'm fairly new to coding and learning it on my own, so awesome resources like this are really helping turn my long-held game-making daydreams into a feasible reality. Thank you!  :)
audio_play_sound(snd_bark, 1, true);

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Hi I'm Eschirm.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:16:08 PM »
Hey! I know how you feel! Platform Builder doesn't really have code. But it does give you basics and a few definitions. It's somewhere between a spoken language, and code. Anyway, we're glad to have you! Why not share your project idea, and make a suggestion or two? I already introduced myself in the bug report, but Welcome to the Platform Builder forums! Also, are you planning to be active here?

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 05:53:24 PM »
hey eschirm, we're glad to have you here. :)

eschirm

• Miniature Nerd Terrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 08:59:45 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! I probably won't be the most active of users but I'll definitely try to visit the forum whenever I get a chance. :)

It's just a hobby, but I've been working on a platform game where you go around as a ghost possessing different characters. I had originally started from scratch in gamemaker and had a decent engine going - basic controls, tile collisions, possessing characters and stuff - but as it got more complicated I realized I was spending pretty much all my time going back to reconfigure parts of the code that I should have organized better from the start.

I'm hoping now to try starting over with an engine created by someone more experienced, and so far I'm having a lot of fun seeing how much more efficient it is to use things like state machines and better organized scripts.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 09:26:53 PM »
Yup! At least you've gotten farther in GML than I ever did. Sounds like a very interesting game idea. Is it based off of super mario odyssey? There are a lot of members that are not active here. Or, very active. But it's okay if you don't come here all of the time of course.

eschirm

• Miniature Nerd Terrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 09:44:09 PM »
I've actually never played Mario Odyssey! I didn't realize it had that sort of mechanic, but I just watched the trailer - that looks awesome! Now I'm gonna have to play it.  :D

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2019, 11:29:43 PM »
Hello Eschirm! We're glad you're here!

So, are you getting into Platform Builder or the Ultimate Platformer Engine?

eschirm

• Miniature Nerd Terrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2019, 11:51:46 PM »
Glad to be here! Thanks for making such an amazing project. :)

I'm using the Ultimate Platformer Engine. This is the first time I've downloaded anything off the Yoyogames marketplace since I started messing around with Gamemaker a year or two ago. I'm both overjoyed and overwhelmed with all the coding you've done, and having a great time digging in to see how it all works!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 02:40:13 AM »
I wish I had the UPE. I'm not sure if I will get it yet, but I might just buy it now so that I don't have to worry about it later. If I ever do get it. Platform Builder Pro is great too. I'd suggest getting both for the best results. PB pro can do a lot on its own you know. Having both can take a LOT of the workload off! Though I haven't gotten this from personal experience, I do know that for a fact.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 09:16:03 AM »
Welcome, Eschirm! I'm Antikore.
I'm glad to see new faces around here :)
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 06:01:14 PM »
Welcome, Eschirm! :)

It is nice to see you here! I see you also continued to post here after that you have made the first post so I can hope you will be another more active member here... ::)

I am just curious... You are female also. Are you a member called as Esan and Sain from YouTube? :)
Alley (T_Alj5)

eschirm

• Miniature Nerd Terrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 12:04:10 AM »
Thanks Antikore and Alley! I've been less active lately due to work, but appreciate the welcoming community. :)

And no, I don't know any Esan and Sain, sorry. I am a girl though - still a bit rare in the programming world, but we definitely exist! :P

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 12:14:21 AM »
This is very unusual. Because, you and LyndsWins are both girls, and you both do programming. And the rest of us are guys, and we don't care/know how to program. Well, most of us don't know how to program.

Mechasaur

• No Normies Allowed
  • Level 13: Porcuprick
  • Proud Admin of Plugger's Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »
Welcome to the forums, I'm sure we'll get along just fine

I hope

eschirm

• Miniature Nerd Terrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 03:35:16 AM »
Thanks Mechasaur - I'm sure we will.  :D

And that is funny CGM. Honestly though I'm no real programmer, just figuring stuff out mostly through trial and error in Gamemaker Studio (it's kinda programming, but much more easily accessible for newcomers). I am pretty much in way over my head with most of the code TingThing has written, but he's been helping me with everything and I'm understanding more every day. I can try to help out too if any of you guys end up using UPE - it's a lot of fun!