Author Topic: New Project - RPG-Style game  (Read 2993 times)

McPopato

• A very inconsistent user.
  • Level 4: Sparr
  • Hello. I do projects sometimes.
    • View Profile
New Project - RPG-Style game
« on: May 31, 2020, 07:45:06 PM »
I'm working on something.
I've been experimenting a bit for the last few days or so, and I think I can create something interesting.
For now there's no actual scope, I just want to make something that works 100% first, and the most work will begin once 8.0 is released.
The project will have RPG themed elements, how deep those elements end up being isn't decided yet.
I'll try to come out with a short game at most, maybe a few dozen levels, though I hope to carry this project on over the summer.

Once again, don't get your hopes up. Don't get too excited or anything, since my last few projects ended up being total burnouts.

Update 1: Something's getting done
I've started thinking about this project a bit more seriously. I posted a teaser prior to this update, known as "The Knight".

The game will be a Roguelite-type of game from current looks, possibly featuring:
Randomized levels.
A storyline.
Bossfights.
Progression.
Repeatedly being killed by enemies.

That's all for now.
Update 1.1

Update 1.2
I'm creating all kinds of assets for the project.
Music, Tilesets, Sprites ETC...

As such this project will take longer to release than something like Simple Quest.
I'll also have to practice working with PB (Level design, Commands timeliens etc), as such I'll most likely be releasing a project (Simple Quest successor of some form) during development.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 05:22:31 PM by McPopato »
"Friends are people who come and go, appreciate them when they're here and remember them when they're gone." - Some guy probably.

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: New Project - No promises yet.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 12:24:01 AM »
it's nice to see you're back on track. :P
before you set off to create anything deeper, I recommend you getting more comfortable with tools and commands again. you could theoretically make an RPG-type game without much command prompt, but it makes a big difference.
you don't necessarily need to wait for 8.0, unless you have something specific in mind. oh well, you do you.

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 05:58:20 AM »
He's already done some work. And lets hope the project turns out great!

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 11:15:41 AM »
And lets hope the project turns out great!
I don't "hope that the project will be good" since it's an insult to McPotato to just hope that it will be good. I am myself sure at 500% that it will be great. We're talking of the man behind Simple Quest after all.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

McPopato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »
You really seem to enjoy Simple Quest. May I ask what about it made it so great to you? I can use that feedback to keep certain elements in this next project.
"Friends are people who come and go, appreciate them when they're here and remember them when they're gone." - Some guy probably.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 02:44:10 PM »
You really seem to enjoy Simple Quest. May I ask what about it made it so great to you? I can use that feedback to keep certain elements in this next project.
Basically it was the best short game of explore, for example it featured cutscenes and a multi-stage boss fight. Even today, those elements are still very rare. So if you want to make a good game, you have just to make a game with features that not many games has, but at a bigger scale. Btw you mentioned "RPG themed elements", so I would suggest also to make (maybe) a sort of open-world split into "rooms", and possibly dungeons that unlike the overworld, would be randomly generated (using a library of rooms).
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Setap

• The Conservative Romanian Republic of Setap
  • Level 13: Porcuprick
  • Developer of the Super Adventure series
    • View Profile
    • Setap's Website
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 03:31:01 PM »
I like that in the morning I created a page about this already, even if we don't know any information about it, on the PB Wiki
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:32:36 PM by Setap »
setapdede Productions 2016-2022

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 04:23:14 PM »
I like that in the morning I created a page about this already, even if we don't know any information about it, on the PB Wiki
Thanks for the information, gonna check it

McPopato

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 10:00:54 PM »
I will post a slight teaser now.
I'm looking to go for a fairly specific artstyle, and here's result 1 (may have to zoom in to get a proper look, characters will be scaled more appropriately for implementation of course.

[NOTE: THIS DESCRIPTION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE]

The Knight was prior to The Calamity, a retired family man. But when the balance of the World was once again at stake, he donned on his trusty helmet in crusade against the forces of Evil

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: New Project - RPG-Style game
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 10:47:36 PM »
Sounds/looks good!

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 07:49:19 AM »
I will post a slight teaser now.
I'm looking to go for a fairly specific artstyle, and here's result 1 (may have to zoom in to get a proper look, characters will be scaled more appropriately for implementation of course.

[NOTE: THIS DESCRIPTION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE]

The Knight was prior to The Calamity, a retired family man. But when the balance of the World was once again at stake, he donned on his trusty helmet in crusade against the forces of Evil

Looks like that class is slow but has lots of health
Other classes ideas:
-Warrior (A balanced class)
-Berserker (Offensive class)
-Hunter (The archer that must be in every souls-like with classes)
-Thief (Stealth-oriented class, can backstab and go invisible in poorly-lit areas)
-Mage (Mostly uses elementary spells)
-Demonist (Mage but it's focused on shadow spells)

McPopato

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 09:34:15 AM »
Interesting ideas, but I'd like to keep The Knight as the "default" type character. Others I'll try to deviate further from the normal classes, probably by mixing and matching elements from different classes.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 10:41:20 AM »
Interesting ideas, but I'd like to keep The Knight as the "default" type character. Others I'll try to deviate further from the normal classes, probably by mixing and matching elements from different classes.
I always wanted the knight as default character and make a paladin class for defense, I said the warrior in case people don't like knight as default. Nice to see i'm not the only one !