Author Topic: Save game command  (Read 1825 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Save game command
« on: September 20, 2018, 11:51:21 PM »
If a player reaches a certain point, it can save the game in that point. This would be helpful for Antikore's game called "Castle Chamber."

Explore needs a fix too. If you update a game, it deletes the players progress. Ting really should fix this.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
Re: Save game command
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »
It's a cool idea. But I understand perfectly why if you update the game deletes the save game. Because if the game didn't delete the save game, sometimes the area where you were in the moment you saved maybe changed or has been deleted. When the game is finished, it should not be a problem.
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »
I need the save thing fixed. In ASM, it's a 120 level game with all kinds of unlockable areas and secrets that take a long time to find and unlock. And if I were to update the game on explore or exe, it would not save which would cause the player frustration.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
I think there are other ways to don't remove save game, but PB it's not automatized at all.
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 05:21:02 PM »

Using save command, it could be a checkpoint system. So that if the game author decides to move a player starting point, or to replace a level, then they just move the games save checkpoint. It may be a bit of a hassle, but worth it.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 01:27:28 AM »
Just think about updating Microsoft Office or another software! It is basically that you replace an old one with a new one which is like copying a file over another. Consider this as a delete and recreate! Microsoft Office allows you to save your docs but these are your personal files. In gaming, it comes true what Antikore is saying. You can think of running your own old files on new features but those may become really incompatible with your updates. Also, think about how much it even messes up your work if you run your game on a different version of PB and you want to run save files on updated courses?!  ::)  And think about how difficult it would be to program it if save files are probably just files from a game state?
I have to say that don't expect this suggestion to be accepted ever.  :-\

Deleting save games if updating game is not a bug nor glitch because you will be warned about it and it is normal. Saving gaming progress have been meant to be possible mostly for complete game and a lot of people will not publish their games before ready but we are doing it just to share our content and see what people have to say.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:32:35 AM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 01:43:03 AM »
Okay. I see...