Author Topic: Animations and speed settings  (Read 983 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Animations and speed settings
« on: July 16, 2018, 07:21:53 PM »
When it comes to custom sprites, you can completely transform your game into a different kind other than PB. But there are some limitations. Sometimes, sprite sheets require more frames for an animation then what is provided. And sometimes, the animation goes too fast. In my case, attacks. I would like to control my attack frame speed. I would like to be able to do this with at least just attacks. One other part of this topic is frame space. When using another persons artwork which was not designed for PB, sometimes, you run out of places to put all of the frames in. I have a solution for this. In the character sprite sheet, there is a lot of unused space. In fact, the sheet could be bigger. If you created a cutscene, you could use custom sprites to give the character different feelings by modifing sprites. This works into the solution as you will see. What if the sprite sheet was expanded to be, say, twice the size? The first part would be default sprites. Below it would look the same. Only, the spaces would be blank. These spaces can be used for character emotions or animations they play after being left alone. Or if you want to put more frames into an animation, just tell PB to go into the extra sheets to the name that is assigned. Like an attack animation for an example. We have four frames for 1 animation. But say we have a 6 frame animation. So how do we fix this? Simply go to the second half of the sheet (extra sprites area) and go to the attack section. Add the frames in. And then tell platform builder to continue the animation in the extra sheet and tell it that it is the stand attack section. (I should have been more specific.) This would take a lot of time on Ting Things part to add this, but it would be worth it. And expand custom sprite uses. Or maybe the extra sheet would work like extra items and stuff. Then maybe it would be easier.