Author Topic: Can we sell games ? (I am addressing TingThing in particular)  (Read 1965 times)

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
Can we sell games made with Platform Builder (or the Ultimate Platformer Engine) and if yes, under what conditions ?
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Can we sell games ? (I am addressing TingThing in particular)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:21:49 PM »
In the Platform Builder EULA it states that games cannot be sold. I recently contacted TingThing about this. He says it is perfectly fine to sell Platform Builder games now. Why? Because you couldn't sell them before because PB uses purchased resources of which they cannot be resold. But now you can. As long as you don't use those specific resources. Now, if you export to exe using the UPE, you can sell the game. The UPE automatically removes those resources. So, in a sense, this is from TingThing.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:23:49 PM »
This is for this reason that I want to make Matt Adventure with only custom sprites.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:27:23 PM »
You can find out which resources can't be sold if you see a circle with a ! mark in it. This includes a few backgrounds, all camera effects, some of the music, and nothing more.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 02:15:40 AM »
Good question. The User Agreement for Platform Builder is that you do not sell you games. But that is different for the Ultimate Platformer Engine. If you want to sell something you made in Platform Builder, you can bring it over to the UPE and sell it that way. I just can't have people ripping Games Straight out of Platform Builder somehow and trying to sell them. It has to be done through the proper channels (namely, the UPE).

Next time, if you have a question addressed only to me, it would be better for you to just send a private message.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:33:05 PM by TingThing »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 02:17:43 AM »
Obviously. I must not have made that clear.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 06:23:07 AM »
This will not stop me from developing Matt Adventure. I'll buy the Ultimate Platform Engine later... or in the near future.
(I had the best mention to my patent lol)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 04:55:21 PM »
I don't have any plans to buy the UPE. If I did, I'd have to somehow get an inspiration for GML. I'll just have TingThing do all of the background extra coding for now.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 08:34:20 PM »
This will not stop me from developing Matt Adventure. I'll buy the Ultimate Platform Engine later... or in the near future.
(I had the best mention to my patent lol)

Keep in mind that the Ultimate Platformer Engine only works with Game Maker Studio 2, so the biggest cost is getting Game Maker. There might be someone else able to export it for you when the time comes around.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »
I'm going to have you export ASM TingThing.