Author Topic: Doors  (Read 1804 times)

saiwong3268

• Level 6: Milder
    • View Profile
Doors
« on: December 04, 2019, 11:58:06 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to use Doors in my Sandbox level. I am not in Advanced Mode.

When I place two unlocked doors on my level I expect to enter into one and appear at the next,
however when I Test run the level, when I enter a door that game just exits and back into editor mode

How can I make Doors work ?

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Doors
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 12:22:11 AM »
Sandbox levels don't support going from area to area. Whenever testing, in sandbox or a game, if you try to go from area to area, it'll never work. You have to be in full test mode, which is only in an actual game. A workaround is to use a warp pad. A warp pad will teleport the player from place to place in a level.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 08:56:13 AM »
Sandbox levels don't support going from area to area. Whenever testing, in sandbox or a game, if you try to go from area to area, it'll never work. You have to be in full test mode, which is only in an actual game. A workaround is to use a warp pad. A warp pad will teleport the player from place to place in a level.
This is mainly why I almost never use sandbox mode.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 09:41:04 AM »
if you reaaally want multiple "doors" in your Sandbox, you can use commands to move your character by whatever X-axis and Y-axis you want. requires some math, but it works.

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 01:49:40 PM »

Thanks for all the responses.

Since Doors do not work in Sandbox levels, can I make a suggestion to grey out/disable this object (and others that don't work in Sandbox levels) in the Workstation and/or have a message box to say these objects cannot be used in this mode.

I have played around with warp pads. I can get the blue "water splash" one to work in Sandbox level but cannot get the +_____+ one to work. You can see the message to use UP to warp but nothing happens. How can I make this type of warp pad to work ?

A side question. Can you use bomb objects to blow up walls ?

I can successfully use them to blow up some enemies, but is there a way to get bombs to blow up walls ?

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 03:26:08 PM »
Sure you can suggest that! You can't do everything in PB, but you can do just about everything. When it comes to stunning visuals, PB fails in that department. But blowing up walls is easy. One of the most common things people use to blow up walls is crates. If game setup wasn't in sandbox mode, I wouldn't be telling you this, but you can import sprites that have a wall tileset, and then assign the sprites to blocks that are weak when exposed to explosions. When I first started using PB, I simply clicked around and tried everything then started to actually make something. Thanks for joining our forums, and for staying active! It's nice to have a new fairly active member here!

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 05:00:49 PM »
One of the most common things people use to blow up walls is crates.

Thanks for your help. It actually took me some time to find the crate (it was kinda hidden), but it works. Now I have a means of having destructible walls.

I am working on a water area. However, what I've found is that I am too focused on avoiding enemies that I forget to check my oxygen level and die through lack of air. Is there a way that
when low on oxygen to get some sort of ALARM sound ? (The alarm sound can turn off when you
go up to the surface or get enough oxygen through bubbles).

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 05:16:39 PM »
Hm...Alarm...I don't think PB has a way of doing that. It might be possible, but I don't think so. If not, then we need a way to check how many seconds of air we have left via commands.