Author Topic: Change sprites and settings  (Read 6127 times)

Galla

• Level 1: Bizz
    • View Profile
Change sprites and settings
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
Hello,

I changed the spr_char_default but I got a problem because my char is 16x16 so I changed the mask_char to fit for my char and now if I want to walk on the obj_solid/ground I'm in the ground and not on the ground. So can u show me where I can change the collision for the mask_char? Sry for bad English

Thank you in advance.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Change sprites and settings
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 10:56:54 AM »
So you changed the character hitbox and now he's stuck in the ground?
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Galla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 11:03:26 AM »
Hello,

yea not really stuck im under the ground but I can move. But I can't make the player ON the ground. Need to find the script where i can change the (x,y) of the mask_char for the collision on obj_solid.

The difference in size.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:44:14 AM by Galla »

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 10:10:55 PM »
Welcome, Galla!

I see that you have not a very new member here actually but it is joyfully nice to see that some inactive seeming people actually pop up by beginning to post with some images also including some progress with PB. :)

Talking about your problem I really appreciate people who try to make something that hasn't been meant to be possible with PB yet. However, when you use a lot of free space to represent a tiny character then drawing sprites you won't change about how hitbox works for the character. Although in a case of a very smart system PB may change the size of the hitbox when drawing smaller characters. If your character seems to be always one tile below from a correct position then try to move your character upon every frame from the character sheet! But am I right, I am not completely sure.  ???
If you are working with UPE and you are editing elements also that are not accessible in PB such as masks, etc then I am the wrong person to help because I haven't bought it for being able to try by myself. Your idea to find x and y is right because that way practicing and thinking about the logic ways we also learn.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:21:52 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 11:13:24 PM »
It's the UPE, Alley. This post was posted in Working With the Ultimate Platformer Engine. Not Platform Builder.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 11:24:09 PM »
I see. :) Didn't pay attention to the location of this topic. :P
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 11:41:59 PM »
It's alright. ;)

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 10:17:55 PM »
Anyways, my the most important point here is still the same to say hello to our new active member. :) I hope he will continue showing some activity.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 10:18:58 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

Galla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 07:01:11 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome ;D. I just started with my project so I will be active, most of the time with UPE  but I will try the PB because I like the level editor its OP.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 04:11:45 PM »
Hi Galla, and welcome!

16x16 is a really small character sprite for the UPE, unless you intend for the character to be appear small and surrounded by really large objects. If I were you, I would double the size to 32x32.

If you want to change the character mask in the Ultimate Platformer Engine, it will take a moderate amount of time and a moderate level of skill with Game Maker. There are multiple masks that are used for the character (Sprites > Course > Character > Character Masks), so you will need to adjust each one.

I don't know exactly what is causing your issues, but the most common reasons for characters getting stuck in walls is because of a poorly-made mask. You want the origin to be exactly in the center top of the sprite, with an even number of pixels to the left and the right of the center point. Even one pixel off and you can have problems. (The exceptions are mask_char_attack and mask_char_melee. If you won't plan to have the character using attack moves, then you don't need to worry about those)

Several of the mask sprites use custom collision masks in the sprite settings, so make sure that those collision settings are still correct after you resize the sprite.

Good luck!
-TingThing

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 07:50:16 PM »
I like the level editor its OP.
The level editor is not perfect (yet) but it's very easy to use. Hope you like it! ;D
I just started with my project so I will be active
The pictures of your character are already promising! Look's like you will be a important member of this community! Still waiting for more info about the game ;D
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Galla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »
I know its a late respond but I played a little with the engine and its good but I have some problems I managed to get the mask_char to work but now I have some problems with the camera, so basically I have a light system and somehow it stops working after I leave the first viewport size i think !?!

WORKING

NOT WOKING

in the pictures, u can see how far I get after the light system stop working but if I go back it works till the point where it stops working and its the size of the viewport ( I think I'm not 100% sure) I hope you understand what I mean. How does the camera handle viewports?
And one more question how can I get more control in the air it's hard to change direction after I jumped.

Edit: Its the same problem with the rain it stops working at the same place as the light system. I tried some other engines and zero problems.

ACTION PLATFORMER ENGINE

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 09:31:58 AM by Galla »

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2019, 10:53:20 AM »

Heyyyyy, looks promising! You should make a game page on the forum(or at least give us the page if not on the forum)
The only thing that make this look weird is the habitual anti-aliasing! Tingthing should replace it by a pixel perfect display, which is much better.

Galla

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
Hey Thank you, I will make the page later on the forum I need to first fix the problems so I can work on balancing some stuff.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 11:36:05 PM »
Looks very interesting! If only PB could do those light shading things...