Author Topic: CGM's Tips to Making A Great Game  (Read 2749 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
CGM's Tips to Making A Great Game
« on: December 24, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »
Common methods of making games are like this:
#1. Come up with a great game idea#2. Announce your great game idea#3. Work on your great game idea#4. Begin designing levels#5. Post updates on your game#6. Lose inspiration and abandon your game
Don't believe me? This how it's often done. Go no further that the Works in Progress board on the Platform Builder Forums. I've wondered why this is the case, and how to fix it. In this tutorial, we'll look at some methods I've come up with to make a great game, and stick to that great game.

Step #1: Create your game idea

Most people seem to come up with a plot, and just decide very quickly some basics of how the game will play. That's nice and all, but people don't come up with a complete game plan. Without a game plan, you won't have any goals set, and will quickly lose inspiration. Create a gameplan that contians details such as the number of levels your game will include. If it is your first game, I suggest you make a 10 level game or so if the levels are average sized. Add more if the levels are short and easy. Also, in your gameplan, specify what each world or level will contain. Like level 1 may contain gruppies, pluggers, and other enemies. Where as level 2 contains more complex enemies like Statix. Also, set a mechanic that the level features. Level 1 probably is just simple with no main mechanic, but level 2 may introduce a new power-up or something of that nature.

Step #2: Designing Levels

Once you start level 1, you may have an idea for your level, or may not know where to even begin.

Common mistakes in level designing:
People don't usually have much of anything new to offer in later levels. Stuff gets repetitive, thus making a not so great game. Sure, new enemies are added and stuff, but they don't really have much purpose. People also use too much of the same enemy and sometimes just add a swarm of enemies. These ideas ruin levels, and make the game boring to play. Some people don't connect tilesets properly, or mix tons of stuff that simply don't mix.

How to make levels quickly, and make them great:
Use your gameplan. Come up with a creative mechanic. That mechanic may be platforms that appear then disappear, or something like that. If you start making a level, then come up with a mechanic, the mechanic may not work in the level that well. Thus you will have to start over in making your level.

Design your level on paper first. If you start doing it within the program, you will likely end up with a level that isn't as good as it could have been. If you do it on paper first, when you actually make the level on Platform Builder you may decide to change it for the better.

That's pretty much it for now. More to come!

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: CGM's Tips to Making A Great Game
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 08:38:05 AM »
I'm okay with you CGM, game design uses two different methods:
-Systemic design. We make first the gameplay, the mechanics and the level design. The scenario is adapted to the level/world design. It can also include graphical and sound design if used for puzzles as gameplay mechanics.
Pros:Focusing on gameplay can offer great and enjoyable experience for the user.
Cons:Often illogical or stupid situations(like getting from a cave to the space)
-Narrative design. The scenario and the logic of the situations are first polished,gameplay and level design adapt themselves to the scenario.
Pros:Can make a good scenario and make almost never illogical situations.
Cons:Gameplay is not prioritized and can be Repetitive, bad, or have un enjoyable level design. Also can be more linear because of the narrative nature of the game.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »
I'm going with Narrative design then. Except I plan it out in such a way that each level is a new experience...Almost every level.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2019, 06:40:36 PM »
I'm going with Narrative design then. Except I plan it out in such a way that each level is a new experience...Almost every level.
What?!? As a nintendo fan, I tought you would prioritize systemic design, because nintendo games have always excellent level design and unexistent scenario. How surprising.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 07:59:06 PM »
Did I just say the opposite of what I meant to say? It's going to be Nintendo styled gameplay. Wouldn't have it any other way.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 10:32:39 AM »
Uh, sorry, bad translation.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »
It's okay. I was afraid I messed up. I'm designing ASM's world order in such a way that it is logical.
(ASM SPOILER ALERT)

Before you visit Outer Space, (yes, Mike encounters 2 awesome worlds in outer space) you have to go into the sky and into cloud land. And my levels will be logical in the sense of where you go. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with DEMO #2.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 07:39:39 PM »
It's okay. I was afraid I messed up. I'm designing ASM's world order in such a way that it is logical.
(ASM SPOILER ALERT)

Before you visit Outer Space, (yes, Mike encounters 2 awesome worlds in outer space) you have to go into the sky and into cloud land. And my levels will be logical in the sense of where you go. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed with DEMO #2.
I wasn't dissapointed about getting from forest to space in the level, this is still logic. It's just getting in Mario games from Delfino island to rainbow road.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 07:40:37 PM »
When do you ever go from Delfino Isle to Rainbow road???

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 11:00:20 AM »
When do you ever go from Delfino Isle to Rainbow road???
Go directly to 7:20 and watch until 7:42