Author Topic: How to play Platform Builder online with friends (No additional software needed)  (Read 3285 times)

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
How to play Platform Builder Online

Hi, I'm Antikore! As you probably have noticed, Platform Builder has no online multiplayer but some games will be cool to be able to play online. I will show you in this tutorial how to play online in any PV game without any software.

Wait. How we can do that without additional software?
That's probably the main question anyone would do now, but Steam have just released a new tool (currently in beta) called Remote Play Together. That tool that is directly inside Steam, you can invite your friends to join your game, that includes Platform Builder as I've tested.

How does that work?
When you host a PB game with friends with Remote Play Together, your computer records your screen like if you were on a streaming (voice or microphone sounds will not be recorded xD), then it sends to Steam, and Steam sends it to your friends. They can press the buttons as if they were on your computer, and will make their player move on the game.

What I have to do to make my game work with that tool?
Being truth, absolutely nothing. Steam does all the work, and you can use P1 and your friend P2 or whatever you want.

This will need a good internet connection?
Yup, this will need a good internet connection, not necessarily be very good, but at least with the least ping as possible.

How to use Remote Play Together with Platform Builder
Good question. Let's explain
Step 1: Start Platform Builder
Open Steam, and go to Platform Builder, then click play.

Step 2: Press Shift + Tab on the game and search for your friends
This will open up the Steam interface, then click on Friends and Chat.

Step 3: Invite your friends
Select your friend, and click Remote Play Together.

Step 4: Friend accepts invite
The invitation will be sent by the Steam Chat. Just click play. Then you just have to play the game. You can even remove input options for the friend if we just want to make him use the controller, the mouse or the keyboard.

Hopefully, this helps, and see you later :D
Enjoy!
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
I was thinking about writing a topic like this. I actually used this feature to play CSB with Mechasaur. It worked perfectly.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
Thats great
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
thanks for these news, Antikore. :)
they will definitely come in handy...

Mechasaur

• No Normies Allowed
  • Level 13: Porcuprick
  • Proud Admin of Plugger's Zone
    • View Profile
I used it to play Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+

Would recommend again

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
How to play Platform Builder Online
Hi, I'm Antikore! As you probably have noticed, Platform Builder has no online multiplayer but some games will be cool to be able to play online. I will show you in this tutorial how to play online in any PV game without any software.

Wait. How we can do that without additional software?
That's probably the main question anyone would do now, but Steam have just released a new tool (currently in beta) called Remote Play Together. That tool that is directly inside Steam, you can invite your friends to join your game, that includes Platform Builder as I've tested.

How does that work?
When you host a PB game with friends with Remote Play Together, your computer records your screen like if you were on a streaming (voice or microphone sounds will not be recorded xD), then it sends to Steam, and Steam sends it to your friends. They can press the buttons as if they were on your computer, and will make their player move on the game.

What I have to do to make my game work with that tool?
Being truth, absolutely nothing. Steam does all the work, and you can use P1 and your friend P2 or whatever you want.

This will need a good internet connection?
Yup, this will need a good internet connection, not necessarily be very good, but at least with the least ping as possible.

How to use Remote Play Together with Platform Builder
Good question. Let's explain
Step 1: Start Platform Builder
Open Steam, and go to Platform Builder, then click play.

Step 2: Press Shift + Tab on the game and search for your friends
This will open up the Steam interface, then click on Friends and Chat.

Step 3: Invite your friends
Select your friend, and click Remote Play Together.

Step 4: Friend accepts invite
The invitation will be sent by the Steam Chat. Just click play. Then you just have to play the game. You can even remove input options for the friend if we just want to make him use the controller, the mouse or the keyboard.

Hopefully, this helps, and see you later :D
Enjoy!
Very interesting information! :) I see you are not a PB fan only but also an advanced and skilled one to understand and know a lot of things about the applications and features in PC.
There is only one question now. The PB games that haven't been designed for 2 players currently can those be watched the same way? ??? Because PB is not for online gaming and this means that PB should be able to play by several people similarly like people would sit in front of one PC. Hard to explain but when playing NES games online then another person and another connection just act as another controller and none of the players can't use 2 controllers at the same time then but both can see the same screen. :) When a game is not for online gaming then Steam can't know about how much people can play it together so I ask if Steam just shares the same game? And does that mean that even if we can't play together we still can spectate? O:-)
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Well, it was pretty obvious that this new feature has come. I found it immediately after I launched steam. Also, I don't fully understand your post, Alley. To be clear, you can literally play ANY steam game that has 2 player capacity with 2 people simultaneously around the world. I used this service recently. I found out about this feature before Antikore posted this.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
Smash ultimate need this
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Mechasaur

• No Normies Allowed
  • Level 13: Porcuprick
  • Proud Admin of Plugger's Zone
    • View Profile
Smash ultimate need this

just do a friends only arena match online

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
just do a friends only arena match online
It's just stupid that we still can't invite friends
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

saiwong3268

• Level 6: Milder
    • View Profile
I wonder if people can use the 'Remote Play Together' feature to get their friends to playtest
newly created single player sandbox/games.

This way others can give feedback on new projects to allow creators to tweek and improve
their games before Publishing them in the Explore section

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
you totally could, both keyboard and controller.
just make sure to assign proper controls for your friend.

if you can't make your friend player 1 (although you should with no problems),
just make player 2 your starting entity.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 10:28:48 PM by Gizgord »