Author Topic: How to do a great changelog for your game  (Read 1953 times)

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
How to do a great changelog for your game
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:06:14 PM »
Hello, I will show you how to create a great changelog for your games.
First of all, versions...
Versions are like a number that shows which version state is the game.
For example, 1.3.2

1 -> Game Number (If it were 2, the transition from 1 and 2 has to be like creating a new game)
3 -> Update version (When changed, it means that some stuff have been added, removed and bugs are fixed)
2 -> Patch version (When changed, normally bugs are fixed and small things are modified)

Then other meanings:
Alpha: The game is not complete but can be played, it can have a big number of bugs and it's very unstable
Beta: The game probably is finished but not necessary, in this stage, the game should be smoothed, a lot of bugs have to be fixed, and the game has to be finished if not yet.
Release: The game is finished and can be played, still can be updated for upgrades

Snapshot: It's a mini-version/update for a normal update. For example, to pass from 1.2 to 1.3, there are some snapshots to show to people what you are doing for 1.3. Snapshots have different version name.

RC (Release Candidate): Before an update gets released and snapshots ends, some last snapshots called RC or Release candidates are show up to people, any of this snapshots can be the final update, but if you don't want to have risk of a very bugged update, you update to a release candidate, which people should give you info about errors etc, before the update gets released.

Now, about changelogs. In each update and patch version, you should create a changelog to get info in the future about the version when something is created.

This is how I normally do changelogs:
Order of changes:
- Important info
- Added
- Changed/Modified
- Fixed (Bugfix #(Bug ID))
- Removed
- Extra notes

Hope this helps you! Thank you
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Aeterna Games | Æ

• Game Developer and Creator of Aeterna Games | Æ
  • Level 10: Jelli
  • I‘m a big fan of Escape-Rooms =)
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: How to do a great changelog for your game
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 07:33:31 PM »
Thanks for the explanation! :D
That helped me a lot! 8)
My Projects:

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 07:27:05 PM »
I'm going to move this to the tutorials page, as I think it will be helpful there.  ;)

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »
I'm going to move this to the tutorials page, as I think it will be helpful there.  ;)
Good idea
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!