Author Topic: Custom platforms (Or at least fixed platforms)  (Read 2591 times)

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
Custom platforms (Or at least fixed platforms)
« on: November 28, 2019, 05:10:09 PM »
The software is called "Platform Builder", but the problem is that the platforms, they're horrible!
We can't make, like, complex patterns with them, like in the Castle 7 of Super Mario World.
And I think it would be a great idea to make... CUSTOM PLATFORMS!
This would work like custom blocks, but with script, so we could make like... Mario World timed platforms ?
Oh and here's a Yoshi
            ██
          ██
            ███
        █████
      █████████
    ██████████
    █████████
      ████████
      █████
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Custom platforms (Or at least fixed platforms)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 08:10:51 PM »
I want an object maker like in game maker. With create, step, alarm, etc events. That's what I want.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2019, 09:04:23 AM »
But we need at least platforms that work.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 03:40:19 AM »
You could make a moving platform move in a very similar fashion like in this SMW level; it's just a matter of using arrows.

Are you asking for a moving platform that doesn't pull the character along with it?

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »
You could make a moving platform move in a very similar fashion like in this SMW level; it's just a matter of using arrows.

Are you asking for a moving platform that doesn't pull the character along with it?
I am just at least asking for Platforms that react properly to pattern arrows:

But strangely enemies works fine with pattern arrows. You must fix this TingThing, this is actually the biggest issue of PB for me.
I believe in you.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 11:00:13 PM »
This is already possible. Just visit Course 3c in the example file or "Moving Platform Challenge" in the explore section (it is open source so you can add it to your sandbox levels and look at it).

But you have to align the arrows correctly so that the left side of the moving platform will pass over the arrows.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 11:25:37 PM »
I see what Warrior is saying. He's right. The arrows don't always work the best.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 02:16:24 AM »
I thought that I just gave some examples to show that they are already doing what warrior555 is requesting. In what ways are the moving platforms not working?

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 10:28:46 AM »
But you have to align the arrows correctly so that the left side of the moving platform will pass over the arrows.
Guess what? This works. But this is unintuitive, I tought the arrow detector was on the middle of the platform. And maybe it would be better.
But for the platforms that don't pull characters, it's a good idea you got here.
And also a third idea: Maybe you should do two others types of pattern arrows:
-One that affect enemies and not platforms
-One that affect platforms and not enemies
The original arrow type would affect enemies AND platforms.

saiwong3268

• Level 6: Milder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 09:14:29 PM »
with regard to using arrows, I've experienced many times when designing new levels that a
random enemy accidentally falls into a path of an arrow placed for someone else. Then this
enemy follows the path defined by arrows.

As another suggestion, if there a way to setup arrows only for a specific enemy(s) or
setup an enemy not to follow any arrows if it accidentally falls into its path ?

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 01:49:32 PM »
with regard to using arrows, I've experienced many times when designing new levels that a
random enemy accidentally falls into a path of an arrow placed for someone else.
personally feels like a niche problem, but I can imagine two kinds of arrows (ex. red arrows for platforms, green arrows for enemies).
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 01:51:10 PM by Gizgord »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »
That sounds like a neat suggestion. It could work for land enemies too. Instead of using commands to control enemies, we could use arrows instead.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 07:25:37 PM »
Instead of using commands to control enemies, we could use arrows instead.
Yeah, this should work as long as the pattern is static and do not have to adapt itself to the enemy position.