Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 3945 times)

Saoirse

• Level 1: Bizz
  • I'm here to figure out how to make games in PB!
    • View Profile
Hello there!
« on: December 19, 2019, 09:25:20 PM »
I'm known around the interwebs as 'Aphie' (short for Aphorism) but on here I use Saoirse as it's the Irish word for "freedom" and perfectly describes my ambitions and creative hopes for game development as we approach a new decade!

I'm a budding game dev/designer from Ireland and am seeking to rekindle my love for game development. My only two published games were on the Game Maker Sandbox site (long gone) and am looking forward to seeing what I can do with Platform Builder Pro. It's unique and I feel like my limited experience in game design can work perfectly within it.

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 09:42:06 PM »
Why hello again! When I got PB, I just checked out everything it had before making anything. I suggest you just experiment and play around with it before announcing an official project. Before PB, I used basic, simple level editors such as sploder. Drag 'N Drop type stuff. PB is much more advanced. I don't really feel limited anymore with it. When I first started using it (version 3.2 when I started using it often) it was quite limited. I started working on my first official project (which I personally think is one of the best games in development for PB) in Version 4.1. Now we're awaiting 7.2. PB has grown a lot. Be glad you found PB at this time period. It's become far advanced since even 4.1. So, just have fun, then start making a project. Got it?

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 10:03:15 PM »
hello Saoirse, nice to meet you. hope you enjoy your stay.  :)

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 07:04:27 PM »
I'm known around the interwebs as 'Aphie' (short for Aphorism) but on here I use Saoirse as it's the Irish word for "freedom" and perfectly describes my ambitions and creative hopes for game development as we approach a new decade!

I'm a budding game dev/designer from Ireland and am seeking to rekindle my love for game development. My only two published games were on the Game Maker Sandbox site (long gone) and am looking forward to seeing what I can do with Platform Builder Pro. It's unique and I feel like my limited experience in game design can work perfectly within it.
Welcome to PB forum new one!
Can I have a download link for your old games?
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 09:48:08 PM »
Welcome! I hope this works out for you :)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 10:14:17 PM »
I would be interested in a download link to your older games as well!

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 05:28:48 PM »
Hello, Saoirse! :)

That's nice to see here one more new ambitions and game development loving member. Yes, PB is very unique and also a very powerful application for doing a lot of things with ease even if aiming something special. Even SMBX does not have everything of what PB can do if giving an example where you only can make the same bosses with different sprites with ease only. ::) I hope you will keep yourself mentioned about you using a great solution to make nice things!
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 06:03:20 PM »
CORRECTION!

I've played around with SMBX, and it can't do hardly anything PB can do. PB is SUPER AMAZING. It can do incredible things, like yesterday I attempted to make custom physics, and I was able to after trying different methods, I finally reached a point where I was able to make some really cool gameplay by allowing my character to walk on walls. So, PB is the way to go. Ditch SMBX and Mario Builder today!

(I just can't help but advertise how neat PB is, I guess.)

War

• "The top player is here!"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 08:58:16 PM »
CORRECTION!

I've played around with SMBX, and it can't do hardly anything PB can do. PB is SUPER AMAZING. It can do incredible things, like yesterday I attempted to make custom physics, and I was able to after trying different methods, I finally reached a point where I was able to make some really cool gameplay by allowing my character to walk on walls. So, PB is the way to go. Ditch SMBX and Mario Builder today!

Hey! SMBX and Mario Builder have less features than PB, but we can use them for Mario fangames at least!
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 09:47:03 PM »
True, but they're not good for much.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »
CORRECTION!

Well, what I can understand from our conversation is that we both think very well about PB. ::) Maybe a difference is that you don't think that much about SMBX. Or maybe the reason why you correct me is that I didn't describe very well about where I don't like bosses very much, in SMBX or in PB.

With this video, you can see which one I was talking about and that the ways to make bosses in SMBX are actually very limited. PB actually have quite an endless possibilities to make special bosses and I even imagine what PB can do. SMBX just has a lot of developers who have tried to make the bosses look special but PB community visibly have only one member who made a very unique boss with health and behavior states etc and this is one who made Simple Quest. But PB actually is an application that can do a lot of types of special bosses without just editing the sprites.
This is just an example but PB allows us to make even big things with ease. If talking about SMBX bosses, for example, then I have seen couple things that really impressed me honestly but I wasn't able to do something like that and I am not sure if it is easier to use SMBX or a game creator application from scratch for making really good bosses. ::)

SMBX is a very interesting tool and it has a lot of interesting games but as a developer, I exited SMBX very soon. In PB, I saw a long potential even when it wasn't released yet. ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:28:08 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 10:26:38 PM »
Bosses? Well, yeah you can do that, but that's not PB's strength. PB can do lots and lots more than just complicated bosses.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 10:40:14 PM »
SMBX community has a lot of bosses to show and there is a lot of YouTube content where their bosses can look very attractive from thumbnails. The fact is that most of the bosses are just sprite edits from the few already existing sprites and people aren't even able to give players a more reasonable way for defeating bosses than cheat box that gives an unlimited amount of supplies for no reason. ::) Watching all of those content become boring because it's like an infinite loop of the same boss moves and attacks.
I wish that more people from the PB community would try to make their own unique bosses to stream on YouTube. It would be really entertaining to see a lot of final bosses like from McPotato's Simple Quest. O:-)

That is just one example! ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:41:18 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 10:42:14 PM »
As for me, I'm making really neat bosses. I've got lots of cool ideas, and I've made the first ASM boss. But since it's practically the 2nd level you do, it's pretty basic. Like, not much difficulty.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 10:50:08 PM »
That is okay and even professional to have a basic and simple boss first. :)
It is more difficult in IGP because IGP has mostly the same opponent on the player's way. ::) Although, in the third world he gives a pass for a Metal Plugger to take on the hero. :P But I admit my bosses do not push any PB limits. I started to make the first bosses when it was basically possible to make bosses with PB using small enemy appearances. Now the possibilities for making bosses are much bigger but I am not going to change the plot for this game.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:55:08 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)