Author Topic: ASM Quality Poll  (Read 2857 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
ASM Quality Poll
« on: January 22, 2020, 05:38:45 PM »
ASM's 1st MicroDemo Installment has been released, and I want some opinions on certain aspects of the game's quality. Please vote! ASM's success will depend on quality, so please do vote!
PS:I'm not going to ask about level design at this point. The microdemo's level was more to show off ASM, than to be a really well designed level.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: ASM Quality Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 08:20:08 PM »
Maybe... The spring where you must press up and down at the same time?It's impossible on gamepad.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 08:28:41 PM »
Already fixed that. That's an older update, and I found it very unworkable for other ideas to work.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 09:06:31 AM »
Already fixed that. That's an older update, and I found it very unworkable for other ideas to work.
Oh okay, I didn't played the demo 1 since some times
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 02:49:24 PM »
Well, you need to play the latest update, which I hope TingThing uploads today.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 02:50:28 PM »
But in the meantime, just download the game's EXE. It's available to access from my website. just go to the home page, scroll down to the bottom, and click on the button that says, "Download on Itch." Click it, and scroll down to the download button.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 03:42:04 PM »
But in the meantime, just download the game's EXE. It's available to access from my website. just go to the home page, scroll down to the bottom, and click on the button that says, "Download on Itch." Click it, and scroll down to the download button.
Don't worry, I already downloaded games on itch.io

saiwong3268

• Level 6: Milder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 06:22:23 PM »
As I've mentioned, players might find it confusing when confronted with objects that are not
in the normal shape players are used to.

Normally bashable objects are square, but in ASM they are bubble shaped (along with many other objects).

Also I find the level overly "crowded" with graphics. Sometimes more is less.

There is a section where there is a orange enemy and I can hear explosions and sometimes enemies
can die. However, I don't see what is causing the explosion or what kills the enemy. This might
be due to "crowded" area and/or projectile becoming hidden in the graphics.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »
Ah, I forgot. The demo 1 new Forest and Title music was really lame compared to the musics I had in this closed beta.

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 08:56:02 PM »
I just downloaded the update to ASM.

With regard to control of the blue spring block...
1.The text at the start of the game still refers to pressing Up and Down (should be updated to press X) . Also text about blue block spring later on in level does not read quite right and needs revision.

2. Once blue spring block is picked up you don't visually see it when you try to put it down
    (only once you try using/activating it  - down and X  ????) 

The music you are now using is not as good as previous version (as mentioned by War555MainsGanon) but as you said this is just placeholder

Also the pipes are still not correctly rendered (please tell Ting Thing so he can fix it)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 10:22:50 PM »
Regarding the item bubbles, I did that to make it more original. Less Mario-Like. It used to be the typical ? block you see in Mario games.

I don't understand why it says Up and Down. Also, I can't make it say X. Because PB allows you to customize your keys, I say, "[use]" in the code to make it say what I want it to say. I checked and double checked my game, and it says itself that it's ALT. Since ALT is my use key. And, I'll need to know where that sign is. I was afraid some of my signs were out of date.

As for crowded graphics, this will get fixed down the road. I've learned that less is better. My poor level design I believe has improved. My new levels and levels I'm completely redoing will not have this issue.

As for the orange enemy and explosions, that is because this is another thing I fixed in the update. I don't understand why it's still showing an outdated version. TingThing sent me an e-mail an hour or 2 ago at the time of this post verifying that it had been updated. So for it to also not show the enemy's projectile which is a box that detonates on impact, that tells me that that is another problem I resolved the other day.

What is wrong with the pipes?

The music is a WIP. I had been using Kevin Macleod music before, but I'm wanting to do my own. I'm still struggling with writing my own music. I can write music just fine, but for the forest theme, IDK what kinds of instruments I want to use.

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2020, 12:18:07 AM »

What is wrong with the pipes?

The pipes are not rendered correctly. I first mentioned it in this thread

https://theplatformbuilder.com/forums/index.php?topic=1260.15

this is an image from previous version of ASM, but pipes look same with current version

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 02:06:16 AM »
The pipes are not rendering incorrectly.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 09:25:18 AM »
The pipes are not rendering incorrectly.
I think he talks of the dirt level behind the pipe, which is lower than the rest of the ground

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 02:16:48 PM »
Oh. Whoops. That's my mistake.