Author Topic: UPE - Recommendations for Newcomers  (Read 4509 times)

eschirm

• Miniature Nerd Terrier
  • Level 1: Bizz
    • View Profile
UPE - Recommendations for Newcomers
« on: April 02, 2020, 12:09:30 AM »
Hi there, long time no talk!

Due to the quarantine, I've finally had more time to work on my game again, and am having a ton of fun. :) I know that most users here are familiar with the Platform Builder program (which I have not used before) and not so much the Ultimate Platformer Engine. I wanted to give some brief advice (as well as say hi, since it's been so long since I last checked in here!).

1. If you are interested in using the UPE, I would recommend downloading Gamemaker Studio 2 asap. You can get it for FREE, although there are some limitations on things like exporting games and number of rooms. None of those should be an issue if you're first starting out - the goal is to get familiar with the program and make at least one extremely simple game you can practice and learn from.
https://www.yoyogames.com/get
EDIT - looks like it might be only available for a 30 day trial now (might let you keep using it after but I can't guarantee it). I would still recommend it, but make sure you have time to really dive in - it took me weeks before I was comfortable using it.

2. You can use "drag and drop" or "gamemaker language" for your project. Drag and drop is simpler, but I prefer gamemaker language (GML) - it seems more complex at first, but it offers much more control and there are many more tutorials out there. It is similar enough to other programming languages, like C++, that you can use tutorials/advice from people who don't even use this particular program and make it work for you.

3. If (this) then {this}; is your new best friend. These types of statements are essential to programming in any language. You can plan it out with flow charts on a piece of paper. It is not always the most efficient way to code, but it works and it's easy enough to understand, so I use it all the time. Most of us here are making games for fun, so keep it fun and don't worry about being professional right away. If it works it works!

4. A "create" event happens once when the object is created. A "step" event happens over and over again (UPE runs at 30 frames per second). Think about what you need to check for every time the game updates (like a pressed button), and what you can do just once (like setting the name of a character). There are other categories, but these are the most important.

4. Before downloading the UPE, you should mess around with Gamemaker. A lot. It will seem overwhelming at first, especially if you are completely new to programming like me, but I promise you can figure it out if you're persistent! There are pre-made games you can experiment with that are included with the download. However, I would HIGHLY recommend starting one from scratch and using Shaun Spaulding's Platformer tutorials on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPRT_JORnIupqWsjRpJZjG07N01Wsw_GJ

5. When you do decide to get the UPE, it will be absolutely overwhelming all over again! This is because it has pretty much everything you could ever need in a platformer game and more. However, TingThing does a fantastic job explaining what each section of code is doing through the comments. Personally, I had been using GMS2 for about a year before I downloaded the UPE, and I absolutely love the physics of this engine - I have never been able to get something so Mario-esque working on my own!

5. The UPE will take a seriously long time to download - you will think it is frozen, but it isn't, just hang in there and wait even if it takes 40+ minutes. It's worth it.

6. You will inevitably have questions, things you're confused on, etc. TingThing is the master, but I will help if I can - I'm no expert but I've been using the Gamemaker for almost three years now and the UPE for about one year, and I would love to help! Feel free to post here and/or message me any time.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:19:10 AM by eschirm »
audio_play_sound(snd_bark, 1, true);

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: UPE - Recommendations for Newcomers
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 03:16:19 AM »
If I ever get the UPE, I'm sure this post will come in handy.

There are probably only 2 users here that use the UPE. You, and at least one other person. I can't put my finger on their name, but I'm pretty sure there's at least one other person who uses PB.

I hope you'll make a great game with the UPE! Though I wish you could have given PB a try first, but I'm certain you won't want to use that because it is limited in some ways. The UPE can do anything, but unfortunately, PB can only do so much. :(

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
Hey! That's good info! I will take that in account when I get the UPE.
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 12:02:52 PM »
There are probably only 2 users here that use the UPE. You, and at least one other person. I can't put my finger on their name, but I'm pretty sure there's at least one other person who uses UPE.
Me?
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 02:06:42 PM »
Do you actually use it, Warrior?

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 04:02:56 PM »
Do you actually use it, Warrior?
Aaaaaahhh, you mean people who USES IT, I tought you were asking for people who BOUGHT it
Nah I don't use it since I develop the Obamium game under mmf2
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 04:35:10 PM »
I said use the UPE. At least, last we knew.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 07:10:11 PM »
work on my game again
@eschrim game info when

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 08:57:56 PM »
appreciate the effort. very welcoming and supportive message for anyone interested but not confident enough to pick up UPE (or just GameMaker, for that matter). I'm glad you're having fun, that's what it's all about. ;)

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 05:56:56 AM »
appreciate the effort. very welcoming and supportive message for anyone interested but not confident enough to pick up UPE (or just GameMaker, for that matter). I'm glad you're having fun, that's what it's all about. ;)
I'm actually thinking on getting GMS2

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 05:54:17 PM »
I'm actually thinking on getting GMS2
If you want to make good PB games do it, else there's Fusion 2.5 for the same price which is much easier to use. However there's no official 8th gen exporter and Mac isn't included in the 80$ pack sooo...

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 06:43:09 PM »
If you want to make good PB games do it, else there's Fusion 2.5 for the same price which is much easier to use. However there's no official 8th gen exporter and Mac isn't included in the 80$ pack sooo...
I have already GMS from Steam version, I downloaded it when it was free some time ago. When GameMaker Studio 2 released, the original would disappear from stores pretty quickly, still I can use it in Steam.

As I have pretty much experience on almost all the GameMaker software franchise, GameMaker Studio 2 would be an update and improvement to the tools I already have with the GameMaker Studio 1

That's the reason why I want to buy GameMaker Studio 2, not really for the UPE (Though I could buy it then maybe ;D) but for making more proffesional games.

eschirm

• Miniature Nerd Terrier
  • Level 1: Bizz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 10:29:02 PM »
@warrior
Thanks for asking! I'm afraid I haven't been able to make any progress on the game since Gamemaker Studio updated to version 2.3 - it's a major upgrade that offers a lot of new features, but unfortunately it seems to have broken the game. I've tried rolling it back to the old version but now it won't build the project at all. :(
I'm sure there's a way to get it up and running again, and I'll let you all know when that happens. Until then I might start from scratch on something else or just try remaking it.

For anyone who is planning on downloading Gamemaker Studio, I still definitely recommend it, but you might want to check with TingThing to see if the UPE will run in GMS2.3 (I didn't want to bother him since I have already changed so much of the original code it would be difficult to troubleshoot).

audio_play_sound(snd_bark, 1, true);

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 10:35:14 PM »
@TingThing
GMS2.3 isn't compatable with UPE. ^ Be sure to write that down.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 11:51:34 PM »
Yes, I am aware that there are problems with Game Maker 2.3 and the UPE. As it turns out, 2.3 ended up breaking a lot of different games, although YoyoGames already has a beta out for a fix to many of these problems. I'm also going to create an update to the UPE after Platform Builder 9 is released.