Author Topic: ASM PB HD Concept  (Read 1833 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
ASM PB HD Concept
« on: April 06, 2020, 06:54:31 PM »
I've been working on HD art for PB. And I came up with a very simple basic concept art for what ASM would look like if it was HD.
Here is the art piece:

I also did a character that I can animate for the PB character. If TingThing were to give PB HD abilities, I'd hope he'd use this character I made. Though it'd be very difficult to add customization options.

This character is far from complete, but I'm sure I can make a fully animated sprite sheet in a few weeks. Anyway, that's all for now.

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: ASM PB HD Concept
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
this character could definitely use some touches.
shoes look ok, but limbs are too wavy, arm seems too short and shoulder should be more on the left side, not centered.

it's not perfect, but your efforts are appreciated. ;)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:19:51 PM by Gizgord »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 10:22:51 PM »
Oh, I actually improved the character. I noticed all of those things and fixed them. I'll share it soon. So, don't worry. I was pretty tired when I did that. So, yeah. I didn't actually notice it till I took a good look a day after finishing it.

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 10:33:13 PM »
I'll take your word for it :)

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 12:33:37 AM »

I just saw a topic called "8.0 New View Settings" just next to this topic if looking from the latest posts... I think an announcement made from the mentioned topic solves your suggestion made by you in a topic called "HD PB". ::)
However, you should be rather tactful from some time on about how much awesome stuff you want to add to your game. Your game is loading in quite a slowly now already and such big pictures especially if you have it a lot make your game much bigger. I mean you don't need to add so many awesome things to your game to make it look great. For example, some amateur who has never made their own games even can't notice you have no HD because the sprites from PB are great for now also. In a game, a lot will be made smaller and details can look a bit better but your game is going to be very slow if you plan to make enemies, bosses, items, obstacles and everything else big like your character especially if you also plan to animate this all. :-\
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:37:51 AM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 02:12:36 AM »
Allar, this is just concept art. I do not have any plans to make ASM HD. I have other projects that I want to be HD. HD is something nice, and something I'd like PB to be compatible with. I do not plan on doing all of the animations, and if you have the right software, animating can be extremely easy.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 03:56:12 PM »
Allar, this is just concept art. I do not have any plans to make ASM HD. I have other projects that I want to be HD. HD is something nice, and something I'd like PB to be compatible with. I do not plan on doing all of the animations, and if you have the right software, animating can be extremely easy.
Remember that Hd "anime like" graphics (That's how I call the Shantae 4 graphic style) are really awesome, yes, but it's "good" only when it's really really high quality. So it makes creation of hd anime graphics really hard for smol teams. Oh, and I think I still prefer Sonic Mania over Shantae 4 (High-color 16-bit graphics with really smooth animations) Remember that Shantae 1 to 3 were pixel-art and were still good because of the smoothness of the animations. Also, Im for HD ASM, but you have to follow these 2 points.
1-Cartoonish characters with chibi proportions, NOT realistic, else everyone will refuse playing ASM. There's many examples of how realistic characters in cartoon games are unnaccepable. (Type "realistic mario" in Google and praise for not becoming crazy)

What I suggest you is to make the ingame characters chibi-ish proportions, and the portraits/official art with more realistic proportions, but it still must look anime (This technique has been used in Shantae 4 and 5 and it was successful) (For the artwork portraits check out the Shantae artworks to get an idea of the good proportions)
2-Smooth animation are not neccessary but still appreciable (Shantae has really smooth animations even on the first game, which was running on a gameboy color) and that's why I love Sonic Mania.
That's all I had to say, thx for reading
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 04:14:07 PM »
Well, thank you for your advice, Warrior. I had no intention to make ASM look realistic. It's supposed to be very cartoony. Realism + 2D platformer does not mix. Besides, I like cartoony graphics. Though if I had the ability to, I'd make ASM look like New Super Mario Bros games. Where it's 2.5D. That would look really nice. But as everyone knows, PB is far from doing that, and I'm pretty sure that it's actually in a 3D environment, only with the camera in such a position, it looks 2D. IDK that for certain, but I'm guessing that's the case.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 02:27:41 PM »
Well, thank you for your advice, Warrior. I had no intention to make ASM look realistic. It's supposed to be very cartoony. Realism + 2D platformer does not mix. Besides, I like cartoony graphics.
Phew. That's good. Also for proportions, I should say something like Mario ingame, and for arts and chr portraits, I would say Megaman X/Shantae 4
Well, thank you for your advice, Warrior. I had no intention to make ASM look realistic. It's supposed to be very cartoony. Realism + 2D platformer does not mix. Besides, I like cartoony graphics. Though if I had the ability to, I'd make ASM look like New Super Mario Bros games. Where it's 2.5D. That would look really nice. But as everyone knows, PB is far from doing that, and I'm pretty sure that it's actually in a 3D environment, only with the camera in such a position, it looks 2D. IDK that for certain, but I'm guessing that's the case.
Im not sure. This was the case with Shovel Knight, but at high resolution, we could see this in 1080p :

This isn't the case is Platform Builder so
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 07:43:07 PM »
Okay, that was reasonable. :) Although images always take space which is why videos are that big also because those include massive amounts of big images. But the art of cover and such can be always a bit different and better looking than the gameplay part. This can call people to play and show your game logo, brand or... I don't know how to name this officially properly. ::)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:43:53 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)