Author Topic: It worked!  (Read 4114 times)

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
It worked!
« on: June 11, 2020, 06:40:30 AM »
I know that there are some more bugs to address in Platform Builder 8.0. Many of you have probably been expecting a patch. Well, there is no patch coming. Instead I'm preparing to roll out Platform Builder 8.1. Already. I know. This update will probably be out in a week or two.

Of course, 8.1 will include bug fixes. But there's something else significant enough that it deserves to be called 8.1. It's going to be a new feature in Platform Builder Pro. Normally, a post like this would go in the "Coming Soon" page, but honestly, what I'm about to share deserves a bigger announcement. I'm really excited for this.

See, there's something I've been wanting to do with PB for a long time, but I just couldn't do it. So I forgot about it. (At least, for a little while.) Several days ago, I was thinking about it again. And suddenly I had an idea for how I could actually pull this off. So I spent the last few nights putting it together and trying it out.

It worked...

I made a stand-alone .exe package of a Platform Builder game. And I did it directly through Platform Builder. And it's coming soon in PB Pro 8.1.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 06:44:50 AM by TingThing »

War

• "The top player is here!"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: It worked!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 08:13:07 AM »
I know that there are some more bugs to address in Platform Builder 8.0. Many of you have probably been expecting a patch. Well, there is no patch coming. Instead I'm preparing to roll out Platform Builder 8.1. Already. I know. This update will probably be out in a week or two.

Of course, 8.1 will include bug fixes. But there's something else significant enough that it deserves to be called 8.1. It's going to be a new feature in Platform Builder Pro. Normally, a post like this would go in the "Coming Soon" page, but honestly, what I'm about to share deserves a bigger announcement. I'm really excited for this.

See, there's something I've been wanting to do with PB for a long time, but I just couldn't do it. So I forgot about it. (At least, for a little while.) Several days ago, I was thinking about it again. And suddenly I had an idea for how I could actually pull this off. So I spent the last few nights putting it together and trying it out.

It worked...

I made a stand-alone .exe package of a Platform Builder game. And I did it directly through Platform Builder. And it's coming soon in PB Pro 8.1.
TingThing: Now you can make exe files from Platform Builder!
People who bought the UPE:

Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 08:18:09 AM »
EBIC, AWESOME OOOOOOOOOOOOH
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Setap

• The Conservative Romanian Republic of Setap
  • Level 13: Porcuprick
  • Developer of the Super Adventure series
    • View Profile
    • Setap's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 09:55:49 AM »
[Everyone liked that]
setapdede Productions 2016-2022

War

• "The top player is here!"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 10:48:02 AM »
[Everyone liked that]
Except people like me that wasted 100$ to buy Game Maker and the upe
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
Except people like me that wasted 100$ to buy Game Maker and the upe
this feature will definitely take away from UPE's exclusiveness, but on the other hand, it sounds like you were treating it as an "PB Exporter" and not much else. buying Game Maker solely for this purpose seems like a waste of money
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 01:29:31 PM by Gizgord »

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 01:49:23 PM »
Yes, the UPE is going to become something different in time. Thing is, almost everyone who uses the UPE was using it for building their platformer games from scratch. That will continue to be its best feature.

Now that PB exporting can be removed for future UPE updates, I will be able to simplify it, and it will become easier for building Platformer Games without any of the limitations of Platform Builder. So my hope is that it will continue to be a valuable investment for anyone who wishes to take their game-making career to the next level.

I'm also hopeful that this new feature will improve the credibility of Platform Builder and drive in more interest. This could expand our community and make PB a better experience for everyone.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »
A couple things to note about the new export feature:

• Resources in Platform Builder which were unavailable to the UPE will continue to be unavailable with the exports.
  • PB exports to a .zip package which includes the .exe inside along with a few other program files. Using an installer is not available.
  • The Icon of the .exe file cannot be changed from within Platform Builder. However, there is a workaround for using your own custom icon, and I plan to make a tutorial video showing how this can be done.

Setap

• The Conservative Romanian Republic of Setap
  • Level 13: Porcuprick
  • Developer of the Super Adventure series
    • View Profile
    • Setap's Website
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »
  • The Icon of the .exe file cannot be changed from within Platform Builder. However, there is a workaround for using your own custom icon, and I plan to make a tutorial video showing how this can be done.

how about changing it with resource hacker-?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:29:20 PM by Setap »
setapdede Productions 2016-2022

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 02:30:38 PM »
how about changing it with resource hacker-?

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind. I tried it out earlier with success. I found it to be a quick and easy solution.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 02:32:02 PM by TingThing »

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 03:33:09 PM »
I froze reading this announcement.

I'm pretty sure you can make an installer outside of PB. Also, what about modifying the credentials you find when you look at an EXE's properties? Can resource hacker add that?

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »

I'm pretty sure you can make an installer outside of PB. Also, what about modifying the credentials you find when you look at an EXE's properties? Can resource hacker add that?

Yes, those things can be changed too. I'll have to include that in the future tutorial.

One thing nice is that when you are not playing in full-screen, the exported game will automatically display the Game's name in the top-left corner of the game window. You won't need Resource Hacker for that.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »
A couple things to note about the new export feature:

• Resources in Platform Builder which were unavailable to the UPE will continue to be unavailable with the exports.
  • PB exports to a .zip package which includes the .exe inside along with a few other program files. Using an installer is not available.
I knew of a program which allows you to make an installer of whatever program you want.
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 05:53:59 PM »
@Antikore Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, Antikore.
@TingThing This was suggested a few eons ago, but you should add a command to change the window name to whatever we want. In other words, like what you mentioned about the game's name being displayed. It's like Platform Builder saying Platform Builder Pro in the window.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 06:40:12 PM »
I knew of a program which allows you to make an installer of whatever program you want.

Good to know! What is that program called?