Author Topic: Blocks  (Read 761 times)

Wizard Indie Games

• Level 7: Tilbub
    • View Profile
Blocks
« on: July 04, 2020, 07:07:23 AM »
Could someone please explain... I don't understand what triggering a block means or how to use it.

Also, I made custom block. I want it to weaken when hit. Then eventually break. I set it to change to another block when hit on the side. The second block's sprite shows damage and that block also plays a breaking animation when hit then destroys itself. This means effectively the block can only take two hits.

I am wondering whether there is a way to make it take multiple hits without having to create multiple custom blocks.

Help appreciated. Thanks!
Developer of:

AI Anomaly
Dickie A Cumming
Someone Cloned The President
Freedom! Do or Die
Pension Day
Red Mist: Rivers of Blood

Available on Steam

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Blocks
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 10:17:25 PM »
First off:

Trigger settings is for how the block is 'triggered' to spawn an item.

In the 'destroy' command prompt, tell the block to be "destroyed" so that you get your breaking effect. Then you can tell it to "change" the block (by "change" I mean just replace the block with a new one, to do so, just say, "Change Block (ID), (ID)." If you have multiple blocks in the view, don't include an idea for the first ID spot.) and lastly, tell it to change the block's sprite. This way you don't have to create multiple blocks to make this work.

If the change command doesn't work, just tell it to spawn a new replacement block over itself. That would be, "spawn block (ID), self."

Wizard Indie Games

• Level 7: Tilbub
    • View Profile
Re: Blocks
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 01:04:41 PM »
OK. Thanks very much. That's a lot clearer.
Developer of:

AI Anomaly
Dickie A Cumming
Someone Cloned The President
Freedom! Do or Die
Pension Day
Red Mist: Rivers of Blood

Available on Steam