Author Topic: It worked  (Read 2185 times)

Fi

• Level 3: Plugger
    • View Profile
It worked
« on: July 18, 2020, 01:02:05 PM »

So I imported some sprites Mario sprites and yes it is definitely possible to import Mario Sprites well and effectively.
 My PB Mario game will NOT be a traditional mario game as

A. I could Just Use Mario Builder to do that
B. Although PB is a great game, you can't really make proper Power-ups in PB

Expect a lot of updates about my project
From-Fi

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: It worked
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 01:32:36 PM »
nice to hear that you're making progress, but he's a touch too small. maybe try making him bigger?
this is an example I made. notice how my Mario is more proportionate compared to everything around him.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 02:26:09 PM by Gizgord »

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 06:19:25 PM »
Actually, PB can do proper powerups. I did it myself more than once. Once in my game, ASM (I removed that system and completely replaced it with a custom one,) and once in my MB PB engine which I didn't do a whole lot of work on. I believe I also have to start over on that project because I think I lost it when my system got reset (hard drive blew out on me.) I didn't back it up, so, it's gone.

Giz, you know you can zoom in in PB, you know.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 11:18:48 AM »
nice to hear that you're making progress, but he's a touch too small. maybe try making him bigger?
this is an example I made. notice how my Mario is more proportionate compared to everything around him.

When custom sprites for characters released I already tested with SMB sprites, but I used the Super Mario All-Stars SMB 3 ones
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 07:03:22 PM »
Hi, Fi! :)

Nice little doings with Gizgord. I was sure it is possible to make a very decent Mario game with PB but it is now nice to see Mario running inside the PB engine also. O:-)
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 08:54:06 PM »
It looks like Mario's physics could use a little improvement and he's good to go!

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 10:55:05 AM »
B. Although PB is a great game, you can't really make proper Power-ups in PB
>Make different characters for each mario state (smol, super, fire, ice, boomerang, etc)
>Make powerups with different reactions for each Mario state (ex: the fire flower turns player into Fire Mario if he's not fire mario, and if he's already fire mario, he goes into its inventory)
>Done
a Mario beat-em-up would be very nice tho
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Fi

• Level 3: Plugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 01:23:05 PM »
Wait Can you make a beatup in PB, and how?

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 01:38:41 PM »
Apparently you haven't played CSB. A beat-up is theoretically possible, and while CSB isn't necessarily a beat-up, it's similar to a Smash Bros game. To test how "smart" Warrior555 is, I'll see if he can answer your question.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 08:34:24 PM »
Wait Can you make a beatup in PB, and how?
For direction-dependent attacks (like up-tilts) you can set the stand attack type to melee then disable it in the abilities section, then put in the character up+attack script commands to change the character melee sprite to the one you wanna use, then the attack data (moment, power, element, etc), then character x = shoot so the character attack. Don't forget to put before the events the conditionals "if standing attack = true" so he can't cancel his attack into another attack, and "if jumping = false" and "if falling = false" so he can't attack during midair. That's the basic stuff, you can start from here to make combos if the character is pressing a certain input during a certain attack or a short time after (ex:pressing attack at the end of the standing jab).
Hope it's been helpful.
To test how "smart" Warrior555 is
You can't judge my intelligence by testing my knowledge, they're not the same things.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »
It takes smarts to figure out that stuff in PB.

Looks like that might work well. ;)

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 08:57:25 AM »
It takes smarts to figure out that stuff in PB.

Looks like that might work well. ;)
That's as evident as the fact that you used bouncing projectiles for the bouncing animation in CSB

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 05:38:29 PM »
What bouncing animation? I used projectiles for the hit effects, but it was sprite based for the bouncing effect. What's wrong with using projectiles for that anyway?

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2020, 07:34:21 PM »
What bouncing animation?
The one fighters make when they get hit, The one with an ?
What's wrong with using projectiles for that anyway?
Nothing.