Author Topic: Possible Reason for Corrupted Levels  (Read 1625 times)

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
Possible Reason for Corrupted Levels
« on: November 07, 2020, 04:02:07 AM »
Hello everyone,

I made an important discovery today that I would like you to be aware of.

You know how you can click the "edit" button and get those red highlights over custom enemies/items/blocks etc.? Those red highlights will take you straight to edit the thing inside Game Setup. Well, apparently if you click on two of those highlights at the same time (for instance, if you have a custom enemy placed on top of a custom sprite, and so the highlights are on top of each other and you click on them both) it can cause a double-save of the level, effectively corrupting the file. When you return to the level it will probably give you an "invalid license" error when clear the entire file, forcing you to load a backup.

I have seen occasional reports of this issue happening, and I just found out one reason why. I will make sure this is fixed in the next update. Until then, be careful about clicking on those red highlights.

Best,
TingThing

War

• "The top player is here!"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Possible Reason for Corrupted Levels
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 10:31:41 AM »
Hello everyone,
I made an important discovery today that I would like you to be aware of.
You know how you can click the "edit" button and get those red highlights over custom enemies/items/blocks etc.? Those red highlights will take you straight to edit the thing inside Game Setup. Well, apparently if you click on two of those highlights at the same time (for instance, if you have a custom enemy placed on top of a custom sprite, and so the highlights are on top of each other and you click on them both) it can cause a double-save of the level, effectively corrupting the file. When you return to the level it will probably give you an "invalid license" error when clear the entire file, forcing you to load a backup.
I have seen occasional reports of this issue happening, and I just found out one reason why. I will make sure this is fixed in the next update. Until then, be careful about clicking on those red highlights.
Best,
TingThing
Thanks, I'd better start using backups from now. But by next update, I suppose you mean the non-beta testers would have to wait for the official release for getting the fix? Just asking that in case you wanted to make a 8.2.3 emergency patch, even tought it would be very complicated since you probably don't do backups of the old versions source code.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 03:20:36 PM »
I have some backups of old versions I would have to sort through them to figure out what I could publish. Since there are still automatic backups for all the levels, I will probably focus my efforts on getting 9.0 ready as soon as possible.

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 03:23:01 PM »
So that explains the corruption!

War

• "The top player is here!"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 03:30:13 PM »
I have some backups of old versions I would have to sort through them to figure out what I could publish. Since there are still automatic backups for all the levels, I will probably focus my efforts on getting 9.0 ready as soon as possible.
That's why you should hire a programmer honestly.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 03:44:12 PM »
That's why you should hire a programmer honestly.
Agreed.