Author Topic: One sided walls  (Read 3410 times)

Mr. Air

• Level 1: Bizz
    • View Profile
One sided walls
« on: November 07, 2020, 09:23:27 AM »
I'd like a block similar to the One Sided Block but facing in other directions. Currently the One Sided Block can only be placed up as seen in the photo.

I think being able to place One Sided Blocks in all directions would be a good idea because we could make interesting interactions with walls like this.

I came up with a potential fix as seen in the image below but it somewhat works as it's glitchy and can potentially be used to glitch into unwanted areas if entered in certain directions and softlocked you if you're unlucky.

Mr. Air

• View Profile
Re: One sided walls
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 09:30:12 AM »
Also having corner versions of these would be nice.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 09:40:01 AM »
I'd like a block similar to the One Sided Block but facing in other directions. Currently the One Sided Block can only be placed up as seen in the photo.
I think being able to place One Sided Blocks in all directions would be a good idea because we could make interesting interactions with walls like this.
I came up with a potential fix as seen in the image below but it somewhat works as it's glitchy and can potentially be used to glitch into unwanted areas if entered in certain directions and softlocked you if you're unlucky.
Awesome suggestion, but can you make a video showing how to reproduce the workaround mentioned at the end? I'm interested to try it out but haven't been able to reproduce it myself with only the image.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Mr. Air

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 09:51:06 AM »
Awesome suggestion, but can you make a video showing how to reproduce the workaround mentioned at the end? I'm interested to try it out but haven't been able to reproduce it myself with only the image.
Can do! :D

Mr. Air

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 10:45:13 AM »
MAKE SURE TO TURN ON CAPTIONS!!
Here's the video! Sorry for the long wait I got a bit distracted in the end.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 11:02:56 AM »
MAKE SURE TO TURN ON CAPTIONS!!
Here's the video! Sorry for the long wait I got a bit distracted in the end.
Ok, but the workaround don't actually allow to make one-sided walls. Altought that's not a bad thing, it means there isn't any argument against this suggestion.
For the softlock at the end, it's due to the slopes shapes in PB having atrocious collision detection. Didn't noticed this until now.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Mr. Air

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 11:06:11 AM »
Ok, but the workaround don't actually allow to make one-sided walls. Altought that's not a bad thing, it means there isn't any argument against this suggestion.
For the softlock at the end, it's due to the slopes shapes in PB having atrocious collision detection. Didn't noticed this until now.
Oh. Then how is the world did I get through it the first time? I tried it again but I can't?

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »
Oh. Then how is the world did I get through it the first time? I tried it again but I can't?
Maybe you got lucky the first time, I remember getting the corner wallclip glitch the first time by complete accident in 2019, and didn't mastered it until 2020. Anyway, let's hope @TingThing adds this for 9.0, it would probably not be very hard. Btw, what would you use this for?

Mr. Air

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »
Maybe you got lucky the first time, I remember getting the corner wallclip glitch the first time by complete accident in 2019, and didn't mastered it until 2020. Anyway, let's hope @TingThing adds this for 9.0, it would probably not be very hard. Btw, what would you use this for?
Maybe, or maybe I did this by accident? Not sure. Hope so! I currently would use it for making better building collision.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2020, 12:10:39 PM »
Maybe, or maybe I did this by accident? Not sure.
Hope so! I currently would use it for making better building collision.
This one actually works, and the collision problems are noticable enough to be debunk-proof. Hope TingThing will see this thread and add it.

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2020, 03:39:35 PM »
I've wanted 1 sided walls for some time. The only work around I can think of is inefficient. Basically it'd be a setup of command blocks and spawn blocks.

The way I'd do it, is place spawn blocks on the wall where you have those 2 sloped blocks. Then put expandable CMD blocks on each side of them that loop every time they're touched.
Off to the left side (judging from the prespective of your video) of the building, in the CMD block write,

for nearest block (Block ID) delete (create a custom block with a blank sprite you can't see, with any dimensions you choose, preferably 32x32 like your invisible blocks, oh, be sure to delete your invisible blocks as well, and don't type this into the command block, this is just a note)

Then in the other CMD block on the opposite side of your invisible blocks which you should remove, as they'll do nothing but cause probably worse glitches than before, write,

spawn block (Block ID) , (Spawn Block ID)

You may have to add more expandable CMD blocks around the area as needed (like below the new spawn blocks) in order for your character not to glitch with the new blocks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:42:53 PM by Christian Game Maker (CGM) »

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2020, 06:25:01 PM »
Basically this guy invented hoiks on Platform Builder lol xd
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 06:32:04 PM »
Basically this guy invented hoiks on Platform Builder lol xd
ok but terraria 2 when

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 07:20:20 PM »
ok but terraria 2 when
Looks like not soon :ahta:
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder