Author Topic: Question About Course Exits  (Read 2307 times)

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: Question About Course Exits
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 10:39:39 PM »
I have the character upgrade, and switch sprites to an entirely new sheet, but then when I use a ranged pick up item, she switches back to the previous sprite sheet for ranged attacks, then back. I have no commands running that I can locate, I've erased it all since I won't be using it for now. If I start the character off with the new sprite, it uses the proper ranged sprites from that sheet, but if I use a command to change from the old sprite, the three ranged attack sprites are the only ones that don't change. I've tried reuploading the sprites, renaming files, importing ranged sprites separately - none of it works. Even on a custom projectile page the sprite changed, but if I go to the character design with the second sprite, then back to projectiles, it does use the proper one.

Now, on the old sprite sheet the ranged attacks are the only ones I've edited (to remove the gun), so I wondered if that could be the cause? Though, I changed her eyes in the walking sprite as a test, and it didn't switch that sprite back when walking with the new one. I have no idea what's doing this, can't find a cause...
I think we're at a dead end here, this sounds like a bug.
still, I have two suggestions that might work out.

that character upgrade is a custom item, right? if it is using just commands, type both:
character design=[ID]
ranged design=[ID]
then, it might budge.

another thing you could do is to walk around commands this time. custom items have a ton of options, including changing character designs. they predate commands, so sometimes they seem to be more reliable.
now it's coming back to me. a long time ago when I was making my own design swapping system, I had a lot of trouble with commands (basically, designs would revert after changing areas).
I made a custom item, then checked the "Change Character Design" setting. from then on I referred to the item
give player item = [ID]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 10:40:33 PM by Gizgord »

WidgetKitty

• Level 3: Plugger
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel, where I'll be posting videos of my games
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2022, 11:36:22 PM »
I think we're at a dead end here, this sounds like a bug.
still, I have two suggestions that might work out.

that character upgrade is a custom item, right? if it is using just commands, type both:
character design=[ID]
ranged design=[ID]
then, it might budge.

another thing you could do is to walk around commands this time. custom items have a ton of options, including changing character designs. they predate commands, so sometimes they seem to be more reliable.
now it's coming back to me. a long time ago when I was making my own design swapping system, I had a lot of trouble with commands (basically, designs would revert after changing areas).
I made a custom item, then checked the "Change Character Design" setting. from then on I referred to the item
give player item = [ID]

Well, I realized it's not too much of a problem. It only happens in the area I switch the sprite, but after switching areas it works fine. So, I'll just make sure the player has no ranged item when the upgrade happens. Is there a command that can take away the player's picked up item? (reducing ammo to 0 isn't enough, the sprite would switch when doing the click effect). If not, I'll just have the upgrade in its own area, instead of the end of my fort - come to think of it, that works better anyway - I had to make a command exit checking the player's health level, to either complete, or go to the upgrade room. It should be a bonus zone on the map behind the fort instead - solve the sprite issue, and removes some extra commands.

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2022, 01:08:50 PM »
Well, I realized it's not too much of a problem. It only happens in the area I switch the sprite, but after switching areas it works fine. So, I'll just make sure the player has no ranged item when the upgrade happens. Is there a command that can take away the player's picked up item? (reducing ammo to 0 isn't enough, the sprite would switch when doing the click effect).
try: take player item [ID]

WidgetKitty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2022, 02:19:01 PM »
try: take player item [ID]

I'll test that out some time for future reference in case I do need it, but I ended up doing the upgrade in a separate area, more like a cutscene, and avoided the problem altogether.

I was wondering tonight though, is there any way to remove things that have been added to the item box? I made the mistake of adding custom enemies, then deleting them, and I have two "error" icons stuck in the icon box now...

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2022, 02:32:56 PM »
I was wondering tonight though, is there any way to remove things that have been added to the item box? I made the mistake of adding custom enemies, then deleting them, and I have two "error" icons stuck in the icon box now...
yep, select the icon while item box is open and press the Delete key.
if your item box layout is messed up, restoring to default is easy. there are four small icons on the side. click on the fourth one, then Factory Default
« Last Edit: September 18, 2022, 02:33:19 PM by Gizgord »

WidgetKitty

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 08:17:28 PM »
yep, select the icon while item box is open and press the Delete key.
if your item box layout is messed up, restoring to default is easy. there are four small icons on the side. click on the fourth one, then Factory Default

Oh thank you! I have a lot of custom enemies/items/blocks in my item box now, and have it organized just how I want except those extras!