Author Topic: This would fix PB lag forever... A compiler  (Read 1202 times)

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
This would fix PB lag forever... A compiler
« on: February 22, 2022, 05:25:57 PM »
You feel PB is laggy? Well, that has a reason.
Command Prompt language is interpreted, and not compiled. Making this ingame would be a pain I think, but when making executables, that would be incredible.

Basically PB reads your game's code while in-game and that's consuming for the pc, however, if you compile the code into machine language, that would make the thing go a lot better.

I know TT may see this so hard to do, but I think finding someone that could do it and keep it would worth it.
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: This would fix PB lag forever... A compiler
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2022, 07:25:33 PM »
I know you use a ton of custom enemies and commands. I played Mortal Theater many moons ago and it ran well... but it was an older version which you optimised heavily. I can only imagine the game got fatter and harder to 'smooth out'.

saying that, I've never had a PB game lag on me, not even when I was messing about and spamming looping commands everywhere.. I have a decent rig tho, so that helps. users with older hardware, I don't know

I have no idea how hard it would be to implement or even if it were effective, but I suppose it's something to look into  ??? O:-)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 07:26:00 PM by Gizgord »

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 04:25:54 PM »
I know you use a ton of custom enemies and commands. I played Mortal Theater many moons ago and it ran well... but it was an older version which you optimised heavily. I can only imagine the game got fatter and harder to 'smooth out'.

saying that, I've never had a PB game lag on me, not even when I was messing about and spamming looping commands everywhere.. I have a decent rig tho, so that helps. users with older hardware, I don't know

I have no idea how hard it would be to implement or even if it were effective, but I suppose it's something to look into  ??? O:-)
It's something quite hard maybe, but it will be very effective, all other engines actually compile games. (GameMaker Studio does when running and making executable, Unity does when making the exe but the normal preview is interpreted, goes well enough though)

In fact, PB games when compiled should work as fast as the may be expected to, my game would run even 120 fps without hassle (but the actual code should be good too)

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 10:28:04 PM »
hello MagnaDev, I'm happy to see you here! how long have you been lurking for, if you don't mind me asking?  ^-^
your take is interesting. take it from someone who doesn't know much about programming. I know that PB is written in GM Studio, I know what .dll's are (I think). I didn't connect the dots.
there is one option we haven't considered. I keep forgetting about Ultimate Platformer Engine. it's a modified 'raw' PB engine, with all of included assets (that they could, it's a legal thing), you just modify it to your needs. rewritten to be easier to edit and filled with comments. so it's not an engine, inside of an engine, inside of an engine; it's just a GMS2 engine. I think it's like 18 bucks, and obviously GMS2 is required... however, it's been years since UPE has seen much/any attention. it's probably stuck at version 8.0 or even 7.0.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 10:42:03 PM by Gizgord »

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 10:21:16 AM »
Yeah, the thing of PB made on GMS2 could be the main issue but I think a compiler would fix a lot of things, an external program that reads a PB slot directory and converts it into a real exe, that would be amazing imo.

Still, that's not reason for simple games to work like uuuuuuh xd

Btw, hello MagnaDev, it's been awhile since a non-bot joins here XD

« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 10:23:23 AM by Antikore »