Author Topic: Forums are something outdated  (Read 1059 times)

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
Forums are something outdated
« on: February 26, 2022, 01:55:48 PM »
I think forums are something that nowadays is very outdated.
Services like Discord are in my opinion, way better.

TingThing should really think on moving the community to new systems because would engage the community way better and are a lot better to manage.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 01:56:01 PM by Antikore »
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: Forums are something outdated
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2022, 02:59:40 PM »
I personally like forums. it has its charm that gets lost in major communicators like Discord. our own place on the Internet, you know what I mean?
however, I do agree that forum sites are just not that practical for normal communication. many people lose interest before they even register; And because you don't check in nearly as often, discussions often feel more like writing emails rather than actual dialogue.
on the flip-side of the coin, forum pages are far superior at creating specific topics. especially when you consider the nature of PB, people make their own games. we can't give users channels for every game they desire, that'd be way too clunky. if everyone were to advertise in one channel, many would pass unnoticed. you shouldn't expect everyone to... make a website or YouTube channel for their game or something, you know? and for those that wish to show off their work, forums work very well.
I think this is a good compromise (for now). official forums and community run DC server.

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2022, 03:19:08 PM »
I personally like forums. it has its charm that gets lost in major communicators like Discord. our own place on the Internet, you know what I mean?
however, I do agree that forum sites are just not that practical for normal communication. many people lose interest before they even register; And because you don't check in nearly as often, discussions often feel more like writing emails rather than actual dialogue.
on the flip-side of the coin, forum pages are far superior at creating specific topics. especially when you consider the nature of PB, people make their own games. we can't give users channels for every game they desire, that'd be way too clunky. if everyone were to advertise in one channel, many would pass unnoticed. you shouldn't expect everyone to... make a website or YouTube channel for their game or something, you know? and for those that wish to show off their work, forums work very well.
I think this is a good compromise (for now). official forums and community run DC server.
The game thing can be done using threads right now in Discord, yeah for some stuff forums are good but I think with the recent bot spams, the bugs with the like system, and in general, all feels wacky and old, and yeah, people don't check that commonly. so...

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 03:25:02 PM »
I had threads in mind while writing this. might be the best of both worlds. ATM I think they only allow few days before threads are closed.
I absolutely agree that forums are buggy and kind of hostile. some of us greet and talk to new users but other than that, feels like they've no incentive to come back.. I'm conflicted
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 03:29:51 PM by Gizgord »

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 01:05:56 PM »
I had threads in mind while writing this. might be the best of both worlds. ATM I think they only allow few days before threads are closed.
I absolutely agree that forums are buggy and kind of hostile. some of us greet and talk to new users but other than that, feels like they've no incentive to come back.. I'm conflicted
That's the thing, anyways I think threads can be kept forever if there is activity and they can be reopen iirc