Author Topic: Questions about checkpoint  (Read 585 times)

Free_Eagle

• Level 3: Plugger
    • View Profile
Questions about checkpoint
« on: June 11, 2023, 11:10:36 AM »
Hello, me again ;D

I changed the checkpoint graphic. With a flag that's down.
If the character passes, it will be hoisted....ok, but the animation is repeated.
So, the flag is raised again and again. Can be change that? So, do the process only once and the fan stays up?

And the lettering "Checkpoint" is not necessary.
Can this be removed? I think, it makes sense that this is a chackpoint.

Thanks ;D

Sorry for my bad english...

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about checkpoint
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2023, 09:46:45 PM »
Hey Eagle, sorry for the late reply. I don't check forums often these days.

you can't change the behaviour of Checkpoint items (looped animation and the text). however, it's possible to set a check point without any output - that's by using the semi-transparent option from the item box, or a command. to display a decoration that will stop looping its animation, it's possible to change frame speed for entities (items, enemies and blocks) from 0 to 12. unfortunately this doesn't apply to custom sprites, only these entities, so we have to get creative.
create a custom enemy and check for everything that makes it interact with the player (disable all forms of damage that's given or taken). make it stationary (so speed=none in movement settings).
the idea is, this enemy has a graphic of an inactive checkpoint for default. place a semi-transparent checkpoint and a command block on top of it, ideally at head height. you might need to turn on Smart mode to force the placement. this is how the prompt would look like:
Code: [Select]
enemy [ID] sprite = [sprite ID] (change to the active checkpoint variant)
enemy [ID] animation = 1-12 (redundant, you might not need this)
delay [number of ms] (you have to time this yourself)
enemy [ID] animation = 0

you'll need to convert your checkpoint graphics so it works as a custom sprite. I believe I showed you how to do that before.
it's a bit of a hassle, I know. the good news is if you manage to do that, you're given a lot of flexibility and can make this part of the game very unique. hope this helps  :D

Free_Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 05:22:44 PM »
WOW, thank you so much for this detailed information.
I'm afraid it will take me a bit to implement this.
I'll definitely get back to you.

Free_Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 07:45:45 AM »
I give up. I'm so sorry. I'm too stupid for that. I really need a step by step tutorial or video for that...

But it had a small advantage ;D. I put the flag in a spinning pinwheel. And it looks even better than the flag idea.

Perhaps TingThing will implement a option with the checkpoint ::). That would be great.

Thanks again for your effort and time!