Author Topic: Level Mayhem!  (Read 38085 times)

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
Re: Level Mayhem!
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2019, 09:50:48 PM »
of Alarm Event for alarm 4
for object obj_char_item1:

round argument 1 incorrect type (string) expecting a Number (YYGR)
at gml_Script_scr_revert_command
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Script_scr_revert_command (line -1)
gml_Script_scr_revert_item_effects
gml_Object_obj_char_item1_Alarm_4

This fatal error occurs when entering a level where a player stands on from the screenshot below.

Please make a full gameplay test before calling your game as complete! I know that the following error is a Platform Builder error which instead should not exist and allow to run your level in the way you wanted but if you haven't made any too complicated things for your level then always rather try to find some alternatives to do whatever you want! ::) For example, when my crushers didn't appear to a correct position via enemy creation commands, I created items instead and changed those to enemies later which worked because changing commands worked properly also.
Try to explore from your game and find the cause of the error if this error didn't exist previously and contact Ting_Thing! Anyways, before you are doing something then I suggest testing if your method will not cause the error before choosing your method because PB is also in progress yet. If your method will fail then try to look for another way to do whatever you want! ::)

Otherwise, your game has become very interesting looking. :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 09:55:17 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2019, 10:06:23 PM »
This fatal error occurs when entering a level where a player stands on from the screenshot below.

what? believe me, I checked levels all the time.
I'll take a look at this tomorrow. thanks for sharing

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2019, 10:18:04 PM »
Then this error exists in PB from later versions on, probably. ::) I just let you know about the suggestions just in case but reading your reply I see you have done everything possible to be decent. My game may have errors or bugs too even if after that I made my levels those worked properly, who knows.

Anyways, if this error will be fixed then I try to beat your game again. :)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:19:44 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
[UPDATE] Patch 1.0.1
« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2019, 04:46:05 PM »
this quick patch fixes a fatal error Alley reported yesterday.
also, small changes to "Under the Swamp" (the underwater level)
and a small change in the overworld. you can skip a level now!
OLD

NEW

now that is a game breaker right there.

if you get other fatal errors, or something looks off - contact me (post here or PM, whichever pleases you more). meanwhile, have fun playing. :)

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2019, 03:07:03 PM »
Now I have played your game, beaten it and I can say Congratulations... This game really can be considered as complete considering that you will not add anything else to it and it is considered to be a collection of single levels rather than a certain storyline. I found no fatal errors and found no too annoying bugs. A lot of levels are very well planned and designed and some of those even look like a level from Battle Toads. Less amount of those levels but still a lot of those was that kind of levels that really fits with my personal taste, especially boss fight levels. Boss fight levels have that much effort by you so I even still want to replay those. Those are difficult but worth of tension. :) Those looks like a bit like Power Plant from IGP but you also added much more different effects which are very good. 8)

There are some things that I personally don't like that much. For example, water enemies who act like lava balls that looks like a bit bugged. They jump out from the water and may jump on the bridge where from they never jump back to the water. I am sure those enemies can be improved so they would act like lava balls but who would be killable also. ::)
Tar or water pieces unconnected in the air even if those come from the walls are really not my thing. I know some games have something like this too and one of those are games like SMW but you may want to add special graphics for those tiles so those would look fictional rather than glitchy.
Boss from Greenland is really small and I wanted to know if you don't want to use your own sprites for your bosses. Maybe you wanted to make this boss look small and it is the only boss which is really easy so I can agree with the size but how about 32x50 instead of 32x32 or 50x50? ::)
Those are some of my very small examples which maybe you want to improve.

Long explanation about the cons does not matter. :) I just wanted to be clear but those are very small things that maybe can be called as okay also. But here is one bigger thing... Your game has become to be one of the best games on Explore now but the ending is just a boring built-in ending page. You don't have to use complicated systems everywhere otherwise but don't you want to include a small piece of scene-cut and ending credits to your game? O:-)
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2019, 04:54:35 PM »
I haven't played all of Level Mayhem. I have to check it out soon! I have been playing a little bit of grandmaknapped and Castle Chamber, but I just got my PC fixed after it wasn't working correctly about a week. I just got it fixed a few days ago. And that's why I haven't been posting ASM stuff or really done much here. I have been on the forums almost every day here while it was broken, but it wasn't very active here anyway.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2019, 10:09:15 PM »
I replayed all fortresses today because those are that good I really wanted a gameplay experience from those once again. O:-) I also found a way how to cheat a boss from snow fortress, however. This enemy can kill himself when dodging bullets by being calm and patient because this boss may strive to no pass the boundaries of the ground height. When he shoots there a very small space so it is a very high chance he kills himself quite quickly and this how I also beat this boss this time. You really should fix it or make this boss die only by tricking him to death. ::)
I also suggest creating your own character look. Your current one is the main character from Ting_Thing Example game who is not that skilled in movement.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 10:10:46 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2019, 12:20:53 AM »
I as everyone knows, use the default look for Mike in ASM. Some months back I started working on different variations for the other characters. But I have been thinking that I might just have 2 characters. Unless PB gets to allow 4 players to play simultaneously.

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
that's a lot of feedback Alley, thanks
all this time I didn't have much to break my "tunnel vision", so your replies are very helpful.
you can expect some updates after this ;)

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2019, 07:35:44 PM »
well, a month has passed.
I finally picked up LM and recorded the game.
raw footage is 1.5h long, but there is a lot of stuff to cut off. I expect to edit and upload it tomorrow.
after that, I'll start working on a quick update. just changing some parts to improve on the experience. I don't know when that's done, but I sincerely hope it won't be another month...
Take care. ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 07:36:58 PM by Gizgord »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2019, 08:06:56 PM »
Good news!

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2019, 09:46:49 PM »
this should be available in next 30 minutes.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2019, 10:14:52 PM »
I think I'll watch now.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile