Author Topic: Custom Variables?  (Read 1879 times)

McPopato

• A very inconsistent user.
  • Level 4: Sparr
  • Hello. I do projects sometimes.
    • View Profile
Custom Variables?
« on: September 11, 2018, 03:31:41 PM »
There's the stars, the money, the points... But what if there would be a way to do better?

I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but a suggestion is a suggestion anyway!

Custom variables would be numbers the game would remember, and could be called and modified with commands. What would these be good for?

Imagine you have a minigame of collecting chickens, as an example. You could create a variable named "Chickens", and have the game keep track of the amount of chickens you've got.

To take it even further, you could make the game ask "if" the player has collected 10 or more chickens, in which case something would happen.

This would make for a lot of new possibilities, mostly in the forms of collectibles, but the possibilities would literally be infinite!
"Friends are people who come and go, appreciate them when they're here and remember them when they're gone." - Some guy probably.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
Re: Custom Variables?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 03:36:25 PM »
Also, I want to suggest something about this. Instead of an if command, condition manager for an easy way for players.

Condition manager will have 2 sides. Commands and conditions, conditions have a brand new code line to detect stuff, between them, variable detecting.
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 03:39:22 PM »
Both excellent ideas! I don't think it would make PB commands very hard for beginners... Sounds great!

McPopato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »
I'd like to think a manager would be good for people learning the stuff, but the command prompt would allow for more flexibility using the commands provided by PB
"Friends are people who come and go, appreciate them when they're here and remember them when they're gone." - Some guy probably.

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »
Yes, but Ting Thing wants PB simple and useful, not very complicated and useful xD.

McPopato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 03:51:36 PM »
With the current way commands work, it wouldn't become too complicated, it would just a layer of depth to commands and allow conditions to be set through them, which in itself would probably be confusing at first, but not too hard to figure out

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »
Ok, probably you have the reason!