Author Topic: Grandmaknapped!  (Read 4726 times)

LyndsWins

• Level 2: Gruppy
    • View Profile
Grandmaknapped!
« on: December 15, 2018, 06:58:39 AM »

Your beloved grandmother has been grandmaknapped by your evil cousins!
You must defeat your cousins and rescue your grandma, before they steal her secret recipes.

(published, pending review)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 07:06:07 AM by LyndsWins »
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto. I am human: nothing human is alien to me." - Terence

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmaknapped!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »
Haha! That sounds good! I'll watch the video after I play it!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 12:24:32 PM »
Then again, maybe I will watch it. Seeing it hasn't been fully reviewed yet and will be published shortly. Also, I have NEVER heard of someone making an entire game in ONE DAY! Your Awesome!

LyndsWins

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 04:37:27 PM »
Haha thanks! I didn't make it in just one day though. In total, between learning PB, overcoming some tech issues and actually building the game and polishing, it took about 5 days :)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto. I am human: nothing human is alien to me." - Terence

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 05:09:04 PM »
WOW! That is still an accomplishment!

LyndsWins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 05:44:16 PM »
Thanks ^_^

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:04:17 PM »
Beaten this game without losses. A very easy game so far except a big purple Puglit that looks very cool also. Green blobs for a fight are really easy, seriously but I understand it may be a battle type rather than a boss. ::)
I agree with Christian Game Maker! :) Making all of this is a really big thing in so short time. I also like a different kind of story about the cousins. Everyone in a family is jealous, corrupted and evil, except one... Poor grandma. :-[ But every one of them is making cooperation each-other and something happens all of a time which makes them look somehow damned and the whole game looks exciting.

I have some suggestions for you, however.
  • Instead of ending the first task after that you have found all candies, add a variable so you can return to grandma and start a new scene and task if all candies have been found! I know, doors have no conditionals and bring you always to the same place but I am sure it is possible to figure it out inside course editor by using commands, timelines and using some tricks with other custom elements. ::)
  • Make a lot of tests and plan very deeply! Although your game runs well enough you can see fishes move out from the water, Sprekers can move inside the walls and player walking off the walls. Do not only use fewer top solid tiles but also try to cover enough tiles to avoid Sprekers reach everywhere! And consider for alternatives about how to place Fenzies!
A lot of talk probably but your game is not bad at all especially considering that you made it only in 5 days and I praise a story very much! :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 10:11:20 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 09:36:05 PM »
I'll play it! It looks very interesting too! Also, I prefer long leveled games. As long as they are still a little easy. With checkpoints and some tough spots.

LyndsWins

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 02:17:22 PM »
Thank you guys! I really appreciate the feedback. And you're right Alley, all the cousins are pretty evil. They're actually supposed to represent the seven deadly sins, so there's Glutton (gluttony), Sleepy (Sloth), Jelly (Envy/Jealousy), Mimi (Pride), Stingy (Greed), ...and I'm still working on names for the last two.

Also I really like your suggestions. Having a more extensive stage 1 in Grandma's forest/house would develop her character better. I think if I have her spawn outside of the house once the player has collected all of the candy, and then they walk to the house together using a timeline, I could change the location when they reach the door without ever interacting with the door object itself. It wouldn't make the opening/closing animation but I could mimic the sound in the timeline, it'd be close enough I think.

Thanks for noticing that about the sprekers and frenzies, I'll make an update so they behave lol. I also have an issue where the Jellis (octopus enemy) will escape the water in level 3 and jump around in the air... its a work in progress lol

Mechasaur

• No Normies Allowed
  • Level 13: Porcuprick
  • Proud Admin of Plugger's Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 07:35:37 AM »
Actual effort! Now that is news

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 07:04:32 PM »
Thank you guys! I really appreciate the feedback. And you're right Alley, all the cousins are pretty evil. They're actually supposed to represent the seven deadly sins, so there's Glutton (gluttony), Sleepy (Sloth), Jelly (Envy/Jealousy), Mimi (Pride), Stingy (Greed), ...and I'm still working on names for the last two.

Also I really like your suggestions. Having a more extensive stage 1 in Grandma's forest/house would develop her character better. I think if I have her spawn outside of the house once the player has collected all of the candy, and then they walk to the house together using a timeline, I could change the location when they reach the door without ever interacting with the door object itself. It wouldn't make the opening/closing animation but I could mimic the sound in the timeline, it'd be close enough I think.

Thanks for noticing that about the sprekers and frenzies, I'll make an update so they behave lol. I also have an issue where the Jellis (octopus enemy) will escape the water in level 3 and jump around in the air... its a work in progress lol
WOW you based them on the 7 deadly sins!? That's awesome!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 07:05:07 PM by Christian Game Maker »

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 01:36:12 PM »
Pretty cool game! The video is awesome, but I haven't played yet :D
I will play it soon ;D
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 02:52:18 PM »
Pretty cool game! The video is awesome, but I haven't played yet :D
I will play it soon ;D
It's pretty cool, but I can't complete the first level.
Two pro tips to make it even better:
  • Make all floor 100% solid
  • Add a way to make the player know how many candies are left.

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • Level 4: Sparr
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 06:35:14 PM »
This is really good! I like the open nature of the game, and the multiple paths you can take. The story has good characters and the writing can be quite funny at times, with good cutscenes and uses of commands. The level design is pretty good and has a good progression as you go along, plus, it makes good use of double jumping, compared to other games that just slap the double jump on and don't really use it in any way. I like how text doesn't get in the way because that helps a lot in secondary playthroughs. The only problems I have with it are that the tiles aren't solid all of the time (Like other people have said), and that allowed me to skip the Pluggit boss. And, maybe, the enemy placement can be a little too excessive in the second stage.

Overall, this is great for 5 days! :D And the issues I stated can be easily fixed, I have no problems with the structure or anything.
Currently Working on: a super, special, secret game thing (and Adventure Joruney: Origins)
Have a great day!

- Turqo

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 09:03:35 PM »
The only bad I can say is that I died on the third level and I returned to the second level :D
Obviously, this can be fixed easily at least I think
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:04:09 PM by Antikore »