Author Topic: The Adventures of TingThing! A Challange for TingThing  (Read 3273 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
The Adventures of TingThing! A Challange for TingThing
« on: August 29, 2019, 03:43:05 AM »
TingThing has been developing Platform Builder for a long time. I think he needs to take a little break from Platform Builder for a short time, and create a game that will help him understand better how to advertise Platform Builder. From what I see, he often doesn't know how to properly advertise Platform Builder. There is no mention of Command Prompt. Or it's power! There is no mention as to how advanced this program REALLY IS! If I was looking at PB for the first time on the PB website, I'd assume that it was quite limited. When in reality, it's super capable of doing lots of things!
TingThing, I challenge you to test Platform Builder to it's limits! Come up with creative stuff using your best TingThing Productions production yet! I think that if you use Platform Builder, you will see it's true capabilities. It's more than a level editor, more than a level editor with customization! It's the ULTIMATE code-free 2D game development toolkit! You can make more than 2D sidescrollers you know.  TingThing, just make something short, but something that shows how capable Platform Builder really is!
"What about the Example File?"
The Example File was created by TingThing, yet it shows a pretty poor impression of what Platform Builder can really do. It shows Platform Builder's "Mario Maker" side, and not Platform Builder's "Game Maker" side. It only shows the pre-built stuff, with a few commands, and a couple of custom things. But that doesn't show Platform Builder's true colors! It only shows what you can do on a small scale. He could modify the Example File instead of starting from scratch. I honestly don't care.

But the question still remains...Will TingThing accept? Or reject my challange? Do you accept, TingThing?

Aeterna Games | Æ

• Game Developer and Creator of Aeterna Games | Æ
  • Level 10: Jelli
  • I‘m a big fan of Escape-Rooms =)
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: The Adventures of TingThing! A Challange for TingThing
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »
Interesting idea! :o

Maybe it's more interesting for normal users to find out for themselves what the program really can do. When TingThing shows everything, it is not so exciting anymore and there is nothing left that will astonish others. If TingThings game is the perfect or the best, the other game will just be standard for others. That would be unfair for normal users. It is better if it is a surprise for everyone, even for TingThing. Just my opinion.
My Projects:

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 01:52:23 PM »
If TingThings game is the perfect or the best, the other game will just be standard for others. That would be unfair for normal users.
that's a good take on the subject, escepially when our community is relatively small

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »
I don't think that TingThing shouldn't take a break sometimes to work on something smaller also do not lose his passion completely working with the same and old always but at the same time... I think everything he decided to do is rather right and for sure reasonable. TingThing has been often proved that he has some goals, successes and that is how attitude also. Why? Because he is tough enough to set a goal and focus on it really also so he won't jump on one thing from others regularly. And I know he does have also more passion than we have with his hard work and attitude he has filled some really big goals that forsee motivates by seeing what he alone has done.
For sure, I don't think that TingThing should work with some big PB project. Taking responsibility to make something big like ASM or IGP perhaps several years of goals is not for him. It would mess up his time and progress with PB or any other project he can do using GML. He is a creator of PB and with it, he only should make a small advertisement and an example which he has done. Personally, I think that Example file is a very good game considering that he had not focused on PB projects directly. It is even better than an example and considering its look it is better than most of the games available at Explore.

We are there to show what PB really can do by being fans of PB and working with our own projects. If TingThing really can do something to help himself much more efficiently then he can do it also using less effort. He, for example, can create his own video showing all the best games and the best parts from those games in his more popular channel than ours and in this way he does. He doesn't need to make a better project with his own app than ours with an exception if he wants to. :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:28:17 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:36:21 PM »
He, for example, can create his own video showing all the best games and the best parts from those games in his more popular channel than ours and in this way he does.
^

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 08:23:23 PM »
Not the reception I had excepted, but, okay. I understand. But still, the example file needs some help.

Aeterna Games | Æ

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 11:32:01 PM »
Let’s see what TingThing thinks about it.
My Projects:

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 11:53:53 PM »
The example file was designed a long time ago, and it shows that you can make nice-looking projects with imported resources or extensive use of commands. I'm quite proud of how it turned out.

However, I have been thinking of doing some more work with my own projects. And I am aware that some of my advertisements are out of date. One of these days I would like to update this stuff.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 02:38:13 AM »
You should update it soon. People who want to make something really cool like SMW with PB won't know they can if PB only advertises SMM type stuff.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 09:36:10 AM »

Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2019, 06:03:00 PM »
You should update it soon. People who want to make something really cool like SMW with PB won't know they can if PB only advertises SMM type stuff.
I can not understand why people often like to think that something really cool is always similar to SMW or SMB? This is Platform Builder! I think it allows to make also a lot of types of games which is not related to Mario. ::)
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2019, 06:05:38 PM »
The reason why is because Super Mario Bros and Super mario world are both often looked up to as great accomplishments. SMB I'd say is pretty bad playing it today (I own Super Mario Bros.) But it's still nice. Super Mario World is usually looked up to as something that is very cool, and well done. They are just great examples of good games made well. So people (like myself) reference them when talking about good games that are great to make stuff after.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »
I think creating good Mario games is for good in case if working with MB. :) I think if you use PB or GM which is not directly a Mario game creator then the best game is somehow unique, different from the others, including the versatile amount of challenge types, etc... This what brings the game to the market that you create something new.
Of course, they who can make a perfect Mario system with PB should be called for sure as some type of expert but I often feel that being praised as good is often nothing to do with being good but just with making one more Mario looking game. I think we should learn to be original and about how to move on. TingThing could do that and I think he also did it very well. He just is not very strong in advertising himself. ::)
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2019, 06:52:39 PM »
I'm not sure I follow. I was explaining why classic 2D mario games are mentioned repeatedly all the time.

Aeterna Games | Æ

• View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 06:55:00 PM »
If u want to create an awesome SMW game, just use SMBX or Lunar Magic.
My Projects: