Author Topic: Hello everyone  (Read 4006 times)

saiwong3268

• Level 6: Milder
    • View Profile
Hello everyone
« on: November 18, 2019, 06:08:52 PM »
Hello,

My name is Sai Wong and really enjoy platform games. In my younger years I had a Sinclair Spectrum and got to play great platformers like "Manic Miner" and "Jet Set Willy".

I would love to create similar games for myself and others to enjoy.

p.s. I've currently made 3 levels and would like to know how I can upload it to "Explore" area for others to try ?

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Hello everyone
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 06:13:25 PM »
Welcome to the forums, saiwong3268! We love to see new faces around here. I've never heard of those platformers you just mentioned, but they sound interesting! If you want to upload games to explore, simply go to Game Setup, and then look for the "Publishing" button. It's located on the bottom right. On that page, you can upload game pictures, write a description, etc and most of all, upload the game. The game will appear after being approved by TingThing. The developer of Platform Builder.

Have fun Platform Building!

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »
nice to meet you, Sai Wong. :)

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:23:58 PM »
Welcome to the forums, saiwong3268! We love to see new faces around here. I've never heard of those platformers you just mentioned, but they sound interesting! If you want to upload games to explore, simply go to Game Setup, and then look for the "Publishing" button. It's located on the bottom right. On that page, you can upload game pictures, write a description, etc and most of all, upload the game. The game will appear after being approved by TingThing. The developer of Platform Builder.

Have fun Platform Building!

Thanks for your help. I managed to find it (was kinda hidden within menus) and uploaded it for review.

Maybe as a suggestion since I would assume many newbies will have the same problem, is to
have the option to "publish" within the Explore section as well (easier to find)

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 09:00:50 PM »
to be fair, I think that's unnecessary.
Explore section acts like a search engine for all uploaded projects. it makes sense to access Publish settings from the interface of your game. :P
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 09:01:16 PM by Gizgord »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 01:15:51 AM »
Exactly.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 06:52:27 AM »
Nice to meet you, saiwong3268!

I just looked through your game and approved it for the explore section. It should be live now.

We hope you will be sticking around on these forums for some time!

Best,
TingThing

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 01:03:07 PM »
Hello TingThing,

Thank you for approving my game, I am working on a few more levels today.

I checked the Explore section this morning but could not find the game. Maybe it will appear later
I would appreciate any constructive comments on the levels

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 07:38:08 PM »
Welcome, saiwong3268! :)

4 posts already... It is nice to see you and some activity by you also in that short time when I was away. In 2 weeks nothing will change usually so it is nice to see that activity by the new members here.
I will try to meet with your project from Explore and give my opinions about it in some time soon. ::)
Alley (T_Alj5)

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2019, 05:55:05 PM »
Welcome, saiwong3268! :)

4 posts already... It is nice to see you and some activity by you also in that short time when I was away. In 2 weeks nothing will change usually so it is nice to see that activity by the new members here.
I will try to meet with your project from Explore and give my opinions about it in some time soon. ::)

I currently still don't see my game in the 'Explore' section. I am not sure if anything has gone wrong,
or if it is because I am the author and they don't show games created by yourself in this section.

However, if it is available to you I would be pleased if you could try it out.

It is called "Jet Set Manic Adventure"

It has 3 levels, but been working on game and I currently have 6 levels now (hope to upload update)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:42:37 AM by saiwong3268 »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 02:55:37 AM »
I was looking for your game too and I never saw it. I'm sure it was an honest mistake.

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 09:57:14 PM »
For some reason, Platform Builder didn't want to work with your package. I went on the server and re-uploaded the files. I think it's working now. Take a look.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 01:11:16 PM »
The reason why I have asked TingThing to upload my game updates is that even if I am successful getting my update uploaded it probably just messes up my game at Explore. Because it probably just fail to upload the game completely which makes it like corrupted.
It seems that the newest games will be always uploaded like this now. Although I may be wrong but I tried to play some newer for me unknown games and those acted like my game when I fail to upload completely. "Play" button doing nothing... :-\
Alley (T_Alj5)

War

• "The top player is here!"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2019, 06:28:03 PM »
In my younger years I had a Sinclair Spectrum and got to play great platformers like "Manic Miner" and "Jet Set Willy".
I think the spectrum was dead in... hmmm... 1988?
So you got at least 31 years.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2019, 07:32:29 PM »
The reason why I have asked TingThing to upload my game updates is that even if I am successful getting my update uploaded it probably just messes up my game at Explore. Because it probably just fail to upload the game completely which makes it like corrupted.
It seems that the newest games will be always uploaded like this now. Although I may be wrong but I tried to play some newer for me unknown games and those acted like my game when I fail to upload completely. "Play" button doing nothing... :-\

With the latest update I can see my game in the Explore section. But it does not launch

Also with "Mindez Project", I updated it and this also failed to launch

TingThing would it be possible to look into this ?