Author Topic: Creating sprites  (Read 1969 times)

saiwong3268

• Level 6: Milder
    • View Profile
Creating sprites
« on: December 21, 2019, 12:25:20 AM »
Hi,

I have never created any sprites.

How do you do it, for use in Platform Builder ?

I don't see any sprite editor within PB

Is there a generic sprite editor you use (FREE would be good). Also need to understand what sprite sheets are and why they are used.

Could someone fill me in on sprites ?  ( i.e. a sprite FAQ )

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Creating sprites
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 02:09:54 AM »
I spent forever writing an explanation. And I lost it. Anyway, I'll explain it in a nutshell. Sprites are game graphics, you can use Paint.Net to make sprites and sprite sheets, it's a popular choice, and you can use sprites from the sprites page in Game Setup. Anyway, sprite sheets contain frames to make an animation. By placing the sprites correctly, you can make an animation. I explained all this in great detail, and I will probably make a video tutorial on it soon, and I'm not willing ATM to write a full detailed thing. Until then, just install Paint.Net, (the .Net isn't a website, it's the program's name) and just get good at drawing. If you want sprites right now, I can make some for you. Just PM me what you want, and I'll get it to you by Tuesday. Hopefully Monday.

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 11:29:59 AM »
just to clarify, you don't have to use paint.net exclusively. it's decent software, but not meant for spriting.

practically, you can use any image editing software that supports transparency.
if you're making a sprite, make sure to keep track of all frames (pictures) you've done. all frames have to be lined up horizontally.
when editing sprite sheets, I like to use Piskel for drawing and paint.net for pasting, but it's entirely up to you. there are proffesional programs made specifically for making pixel-art, use these if you want to get more serious.
if you want more info, check the manual.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:10:35 PM by Gizgord »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 01:32:31 PM »
The manual hasn't been updated I don't think for this. Also, Paint.NET is a suggestion. It's what Seggaw used a long time ago, and I've used it a long time and it serves me well.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 06:58:16 PM »

Gizgord you're already ded
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 10:17:33 PM »
Now there's a meme I agree with!

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 10:14:37 AM »
Hi,

I have never created any sprites.

How do you do it, for use in Platform Builder ?

I don't see any sprite editor within PB

Is there a generic sprite editor you use (FREE would be good). Also need to understand what sprite sheets are and why they are used.

Could someone fill me in on sprites ?  ( i.e. a sprite FAQ )
You can make drawings and turn them into low-res sprites using grid. This was Rareware method for making NES sprites.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2019, 05:23:15 PM »
That method sounds undependable. But who knows!

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 09:17:20 PM »
They really used graph paper for converting drawings into nes graphics. Kevin Bayliss (Battletoads,DK Country 1) said it in an interview.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 09:35:22 PM »
Woah.