Author Topic: Race creator with timelines! [RESOLVED] READ TO LEARN HOW!!!  (Read 3167 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Ting Thing says it's already possible! Read below! (Note that this is the conversation had in the comments!)
You might be able to rig a race sequence even now. I haven't tried this but it's worth a shot:

Start the timeline using the command input for an NPC message. But instead of a checkered flagpole, make it a race to a custom item. Place the custom item at the end of the race and make it invisible using an invisible hide block. Have the NPC say something like "Let's have a race! Beat me to the coin and you can have it! My best time is 35 seconds." In this case, make sure that it takes exactly 35 seconds for the npc to reach the item.

At the start of the race, use the following commands:
reveal items
enable time = true
time = 35
Those time commands change the time limit settings for your area.

For one of your two area goals, you need to have the goal be to survive the time limit. The goal reward is to call the command prompt, and use "hide items" This will make the custom item at the end disappear, and it should happen at the same moment that the NPC arrives over it. So, if you survive the time limit, you're too late. The NPC got to the item before you. But if you manage to reach the item before the time limit runs out, you can call commands using the custom item.

You could also make the HUD invisible if you don't want to display the time remaining.

I asked "Is it possible to have the NPC congratulate you?"

Ting Thing replied:

Well, when the time runs out, you could disable the character, move the view to the npc and make the npc say something.
If you get the item, you could go to a cut scene where the npc finally arrives and tells you something else. You may want to change the area to make it easier to run the cut-scene. If you don't change the area, make sure you also turn off the area timer.

This is what I first said:
Now that we can program NPC's to go where we want them, why not create race goals and just program the NPC to run the race (of course with the goal of you beating the NPC) and whoever gets to the checkered flag wins! With of course command prompt tells it what to do after the race.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:10:16 PM by Christian Game Maker »

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
Re: Race creator with timelines!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 08:40:22 PM »
For now, you, however, can create a race with speed and obstacles. I am going to be more detailed also this time. For example, I get inspired by this kind of things often. :)

Watch the end of the video! :))
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:47:27 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 09:50:13 AM »
I did like a countdown with timelines. Disabling the character when the race starts and keep that until the GO sign pulls! :D :D

That is very common in racing games. :)
Probably If you do a racing game, that would be very epic!
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 02:08:59 PM »
Yeah!

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 09:38:26 PM »
You might be able to rig a race sequence even now. I haven't tried this but it's worth a shot:

Start the timeline using the command input for an NPC message. But instead of a checkered flagpole, make it a race to a custom item. Place the custom item at the end of the race and make it invisible using an invisible hide block. Have the NPC say something like "Let's have a race! Beat me to the coin and you can have it! My best time is 35 seconds." In this case, make sure that it takes exactly 35 seconds for the npc to reach the item.

At the start of the race, use the following commands:
reveal items
enable time = true
time = 35
Those time commands change the time limit settings for your area.

For one of your two area goals, you need to have the goal be to survive the time limit. The goal reward is to call the command prompt, and use "hide items" This will make the custom item at the end disappear, and it should happen at the same moment that the NPC arrives over it. So, if you survive the time limit, you're too late. The NPC got to the item before you. But if you manage to reach the item before the time limit runs out, you can call commands using the custom item.

You could also make the HUD invisible if you don't want to display the time remaining.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 09:42:21 PM »
Interesting! So the npc can say that you didn't win and that he won. But a message for the npc to congratulate you on winning, is that possible?

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 09:56:02 PM »
Interesting! So the npc can say that you didn't win and that he won. But a message for the npc to congratulate you on winning, is that possible?

Well, when the time runs out, you could disable the character, move the view to the npc and make the npc say something.
If you get the item, you could go to a cut scene where the npc finally arrives and tells you something else. You may want to change the area to make it easier to run the cut-scene. If you don't change the area, make sure you also turn off the area timer.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »
Cool! I guess it could be done. ;) I just wish you added commands for doing this specifically. If you know what I mean. :)

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 10:09:47 PM »
A whole race system would take time. But I'll probably add a command to change the NPC. That would make it easier for the ending sequence and would also be useful elsewhere.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Race creator with timelines! [RESOLVED] READ TO LEARN HOW!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2018, 10:11:07 PM »
Also add a command to change an enemy to another after a period of time.

War

• "The top player is here!"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 09:19:20 PM »
For now, you, however, can create a race with speed and obstacles. I am going to be more detailed also this time. For example, I get inspired by this kind of things often. :)

Watch the end of the video! :))
I didn't know someone has ever finished Turbo Tunnel
I am learning things everyday on this forum ???
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2020, 11:15:22 PM »
Even I have beaten Turbo Tunnel.  ::) Although it took years to do that and when I really did it my heart beat like crazy. :D
This game is not impossible. Some games just have been meant to be played by super hardcore players. Also, would an official company release the game if it would not be possible to beat? :P
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:16:09 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2020, 12:19:23 AM »
I think that this topic is outdated. There are many new methods of creating a race system. MANY! I'm surprised, Alley, that you replied to this topic which seems to be older than the hills. May 17, 2018. Woah.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2020, 12:29:53 AM »
Date, when a topic was started or ended, is not important for me. My post was not the first after that long time later and I always may answer if a topic interests me. ;)
Alley (T_Alj5)