Author Topic: Save State Command  (Read 1381 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Save State Command
« on: June 12, 2020, 04:51:21 PM »

Look at this picture. It's the PB command prompt. The Save Game command is nice, but I'd like to have 2 variations of it. A "Save State" command, and a "Save Game State" command.

A Save State command would simply record the exact location, area, stats, actually everything that is going on in that very instant. This would be extremely useful in some cases. The command would only save the state until the game was closed.

A Save Game State command would work exactly like the Save State command, only it acts as the Save Game command does. Instead of it just saving everything except for the location of the player and what's going on in the area, it'd capture everything and it'd save it until PB saves again.

This would be extremely useful in certain cases. I hope TingThing considers adding these commands for 8.1. I have suggested this before, just so you know. ;)

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: Save State Command
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 06:11:57 PM »
This would be extremely useful in certain cases. I hope TingThing considers adding these commands for 8.1. I have suggested this before, just so you know. ;)
those certain cases must be somewhat specific. how precise are your levels if you need all these conditions for your area to work properly?
I think temporally auto-saves can be achieved as it is, just by using a different save slot. granted, it won't track absolutely everything that's going on, if this is what you're looking for.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 06:12:22 PM by Gizgord »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 08:13:51 PM »
This would be super useful if I was to do something like you see in 3D world or 3D land (Mario.) What I mean is, the mystery boxes. I have an idea of performing a similar concept. That is only one use. I can think of other uses as well.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 08:15:58 AM »
how precise are your levels if you need all these conditions for your area to work properly?
Maybe he's simply making a game with the mudokon mechanic, and in this case savestates are absolutely needed.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 05:05:43 PM »
This would be super useful if I was to do something like you see in 3D world or 3D land (Mario.) What I mean is, the mystery boxes. I have an idea of performing a similar concept. That is only one use. I can think of other uses as well.
Maybe he's simply making a game with the mudokon mechanic, and in this case savestates are absolutely needed.
those uses sound somewhat specific to me, but sure, whatever.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:05:57 PM by Gizgord »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 05:55:14 PM »
They are specific, and can be used for quite a few purposes I'm sure.