Author Topic: Platform Builder and Community Influence.  (Read 940 times)

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
Platform Builder and Community Influence.
« on: September 03, 2020, 12:40:22 AM »
Hello everyone,

Recently I have noticed in the community some frustration over one's ability to influence the development of Platform Builder. This is not true for everyone but it has been true for at least a few people, and I have seen this through both public and private messages.

Everyone comes to Platform Builder with different aspirations/goals/visions for what they would like to do with their game designs. It would be impossible for me to please everyone, and it would be dangerous for my own emotional sanity to try. However, I have realized that my own policies about user influence have not been clearly defined, and so people come into the community with different expectations about how I as the developer of Platform Builder will interact with various suggestions. To help provide clarity, I have updated the pinned topic at the top of the suggestions page. It also includes some new rules about how to use the suggestions page. The purpose of the rules is to make this a better experience for everyone. They are effective immediately.

My typical approach to every update has been to look through suggestions on the forums, put together a list of those suggestions, and then do it. Because of this, most of what you have seen on the update log (especially in recent times) has been fulfilled requests, or things necessary because of fulfilled requests (and, of course, smashing bugs!) This will change a little bit, as we are looking to collect more data from first-time users—particularly those who choose never to come back. Because of this, you might see some changes which have not been suggestions (for instance, better graphics), but are still intended to improve the overall experience of Platform Builder for everyone.

I hasten to say that I have not done a perfect job discerning what is most important for Platform Builder. The decision making process is more complicated than most people realize, and so I appreciate your patience with me as I continue striving to make this program the best it could possibly become with my limited time and resources. I also want to thank you all for many, many great ideas which have shaped so much of what Platform Builder has become. Now that we have some more people on the team, even I don't know what the future of Platform Builder will look like, but I cannot wait to find out!

This topic will be locked for responses. You are welcome to message me personally if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,
TingThing
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 12:40:48 AM by TingThing »