Author Topic: Let me explain myself...  (Read 1905 times)

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
Let me explain myself...
« on: September 13, 2020, 04:07:19 PM »
It's nothing new that I'm the perfect project abandoner. Each time I open PB is generally because I have a new idea to try out. I'm tired of abandoning projects so I will explain a bit how my way of abandoning works to see why each project of my own has been discontinued.

Reason 1: Idea was made barely
When I have an idea for a game, I generally have a complete concept made in my head, but this is not always the case. When I feel that the game isn't going to anywhere, like adding random stuff just to add something because I don't have a real idea of what I want.
Reason 2: I lose interest on it aka I'm very lazy
When this happens is generally because the project was going good but I wasn't finding anymore fun with the project, so it gets discontinued.
Reason 3: The idea was made well, but adding stuff gone wrong:
When this happens, its because I get adding unnecessary stuff to the game and the project starts to feel fullfilled of trash, so I lose interest on it.
Reason 4: Lack of resources or knowledge/pb limitations
When this happens is because I got to some point where I needed to do something that is truly hard and I can't find a way to do it well, or I don't have resources such as graphics or things like that. Even when PB requires something it lacks right when I'm doing it to make it, it makes me abandon it.
This gets some kind of additional power at the start. If I find some kind of wall when making the game at the very starts I feel uncomfortable and I generally abandon it. This is the most important reason of my projects I never even talked about, followed by reason 1. And I'm such a perfectionist guy that loses interest when something is going kinda bad or just the graphics doesn't look like I expected, its hard to me to see it correctly.
Reason 5: I get overwhelmed by the project
When the ideas I have to add to the project are a lot I start to get lazy and I generally don't finish it.

So, which projects I discontinued and why?
Project TC: I started to add things that weren't completely important and I had some issues with PB those times, so reason 3 and 4.
Castle Chamber: Reason 5. I wanted to add much things, also kinda reason 2
Graveyard Shift: Reason 1. I didn't have a real idea of what I wanted to do, and I couldn't find something that fit my expectances, so F.
Mad Brad: Reason 2 and 1. The idea wasn't very good at all and I just lose interest on it.
Gun Banzai: The only excepcional case, the final result wasn't the good I thought, with general opinions, and the change requirement it needed was a lot so I gave CGM the project.

The project I was working on:
Ghawst's Corridor: Reason 4, 3, and a bit of 2 and even 1. I will continue it in the future, but I need of graphical resources I don't have and I was also adding some stuff it didn't makes sense. I just need some motivation and the resources required.

Okay, so, after you read this you will probably say "Well, nobody asked". This is more of a way to me to see what I'm doing wrong and people know what I did wrong or what happened to these projects.

Anyways, if you read this entirely, thank you so much :D
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Let me explain myself...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:07:05 PM »
Gun Banzai
Original title sounded better
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 09:57:59 PM »
Antikore, apparently if you were to get into the videogame industry as a career, you would probably be a concept game designer. (Not graphical, but rather a level/idea concept creator) I think you should take all of these incomplete projectss, and open source them so that people can use them to make their own games. It's not a bad idea at all. I think you should go for it.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:46:45 PM by Christian Game Maker »

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 07:27:25 AM »
Antikore, apparently if you were to get into the videogame industry as a career, you would probably be a concept game designer. (Not graphical, but rather a level/idea concept creator) I think you should take all of these incomplete projectss, and open source them so that people can use them to make their own games. It's not a bad idea at all. I think you should go for it.
I don't know, I want to avoid that, but I agree with the first paragraph

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 10:40:40 AM »
I don't know, I want to avoid that, but I agree with the first paragraph
Game designer is the most respectable job in the industry.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 11:44:08 AM »
Game designer is the most respectable job in the industry.
I'm pretty good designing things and having ideas, not developing them though. That's true

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 03:47:11 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that your grammar has REALLY improved! You made hardly any mistakes this time! Keep up the good work on that. ;)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 03:47:26 PM by Christian Game Maker »

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 04:05:16 PM »
Antikore, you could just build ideas in PB, and publish them so that people could benefit from them so that they can turn your work into awesomeness.

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 06:14:11 PM »
Oh, and I forgot to mention, that your grammar has REALLY improved! You made hardly any mistakes this time! Keep up the good work on that. ;)
Thank you so much, I'm glad to know that I have better grammar now.
Antikore, you could just build ideas in PB, and publish them so that people could benefit from them so that they can turn your work into awesomeness.
That's not my vision for business. Its a good idea ngl