Author Topic: Simple Quest (202...1?)  (Read 3176 times)

McPopato

• A very inconsistent user.
  • Level 4: Sparr
  • Hello. I do projects sometimes.
    • View Profile
Simple Quest (202...1?)
« on: December 07, 2020, 01:59:54 PM »
The Simple Quest(2020 2021)

Not to be mistaken with my earlier works.

I'm making & expanding this post as progress comes along. I added (2020) to the title, since I've used the same name more than once prior, and due to circumstances (demotivation, loss of data) have had to restart the project more than once. Each time my aspirations for what I'm doing with Simple Quest change, as such I feel it deserves its' own post.

I will start work on the project again once the PB9 Beta is done.
I upgraded my PC (as a select few might already know), which has increased performance drastically. I can't really play Platform Builder in 30 FPS anymore due to the dramatic difference between the cap and the maximum 144FPS my current computer & monitor output. As such I will be making all my future project(s) 60FPS minimum, which sadly means they might not be accessible to people with old/slow hardware.

What to expect.
Progress will be inconsistent (as usual), which means I'll set the bar relatively low:
- Minimum 20 levels
- Divided in 5 levels per theme (or world, if you prefer that, subject to change)
- Some custom content (Music?, Tilesets? Maybe enemy sprites? Low bar.)
- A simple story. (Or complicated based on what your standard is)

Here's an extremely early idea for a plot:
Spoiler
As with every version of this project, it'll start with the main characters' birthday. The first world will be both a tutorial and a prelude to the actual conflict of the story. BBEG (big bad evil guy) causes havoc, ruining the birthday celebration and increasing stakes by doing something (Maybe stealing a treasured artifact, killing someone... Depending on what kind of story it ends up being). Main idea of the game would be to finish the story, in the victory of the hero and the defeat of BBEG.

(Very minor update: I replayed Simple Quest, and I MIGHT be able to adjust to 30FPS with enough play. I'll still take a good amount of time deciding between 30 or 60 FPS as a default for my projects. Please give me your opinions on which one would be better, thank you.)

07/12/2020 - Start of post.

With the release of PB9, I am now starting progress on the project. It'll be inconsistent but I will be working on it.

15/03/2021 - Getting started..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:42:12 PM by McPopato »
"Friends are people who come and go, appreciate them when they're here and remember them when they're gone." - Some guy probably.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
Re: Simple Quest (2020)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 08:58:40 PM »
Looks cool!
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »
@McPopato You should make any future platformer you make 60fps, 30fps is bad for 2d platformers. But btw, is Platform Builder's game speed tied to the framerate?
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 10:26:56 PM »
I meant to respond to this earlier! Sounds good! What happened to your RGP platformer?

McPopato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 11:25:43 PM »
I'll get back to working on 'Knight' at some point... Can't really say, I want to improve my skills in pixel art and composing first, as I'd rather have the custom content be self-made than royalty free. I can safely say that it will take a good while, probably a few years at worst
"Friends are people who come and go, appreciate them when they're here and remember them when they're gone." - Some guy probably.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 02:13:09 AM »
@McPopato I'd be happy to help you with game art. Just DM/PM me if you want any help with that. ;) I have a bit of experience.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 08:30:48 AM »
@McPopato can you DM me too please, I am much better than CGM for art (I know it seems pretentious seeing CGM's art but it's the truth)
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

McPopato

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 11:52:05 AM »
@Christian Game Maker (CGM) @warrior
I appreciate the gestures, but I'd like to learn these skills for myself. I will allow opinions, but I want to be able to make that proper art & music myself

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
Looks that CGM and Warrior have a curious relationship...
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 07:21:32 PM »
@warrior You haven't seen all of my art.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 09:03:15 PM »
@warrior You haven't seen all of my art.
But you have seen literally none of my art.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 09:31:41 PM »
@warrior I've seen your game art, (both in-game and promotional) and the art you did for that youtuber.

McPopato

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 08:03:07 AM »
@Christian Game Maker (CGM) @warrior
I'd appreciate if you two took your argument elsewhere, perhaps private messages. I have a feeling that this might escalate into a problem, and I'd prefer my thread not to be the battlefield.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 07:49:42 PM »
@warrior @McPopato We were having an argument? Seriously? I was simply explaining the art of warrior's I had seen. I wasn't about to get into a debate as to who's a better artist. I think hands-down that Warrior is the better artist of the both of us. He said I had "seen literally none" of his artwork. I was stating that I had seen some of his artwork. I think it's safe to assume he is the better of the two of us. Cuz I know he's been practicing HD 2D art a lot longer than I have, and a lot more consistently than I have. There's no need to argue over this.

McPopato

• View Profile
Re: Simple Quest (202...1?)
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2021, 04:49:07 PM »
Updated the post. Commenting to bring it back to the top