Author Topic: Overworld Suggestions?  (Read 3017 times)

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
Overworld Suggestions?
« on: May 26, 2018, 09:46:11 PM »
I've noticed that there isn't much for suggestions in the overworld. I know that most of the fun happens in courses, but I was thinking it might be around time to improve overworld stuff. The last thing I did with the overworld was secret exits, which added a little interaction between the overworld and the courses. There's probably other ways that overworlds could be affected.

Thoughts? Ideas?

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Overworld Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 09:51:15 PM »
I've got a few! Could you make it so that the over world has an icon for an enemy that can move and be controlled by arrows. Remember Mario Builder? The enemies that were on the world map were battles where you could win items! And an item collection is really what should be in a world map. That's about it! I'll do more later.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 01:11:13 AM »
To be honest, I would need a secondary goal for overworld like courses have. It would allow creating a way to choose from different ways of how to complete game finally and it would allow secret world with easter eggs if finding a secret path, next regular world otherwise.
My another suggestion would be to add an object for moving to another course directly. This would allow, for example, to enter the secret world from several worlds and would allow to require you to find secret world from every regular world in order to beat secret world also.

A gate that disappears/opens once all regular courses(not castles) have been beaten would be nice too... :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:13:05 AM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 02:39:22 AM »
What about a world chooser menu? Like if you've made 2 worlds, and the player unlocked the second world. What if in the pause menu you could select another world?

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • Level 4: Sparr
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 01:57:51 PM »
How about adding the option for moving about in more directions in an overworld. As of now, you can only enable the option to move about in four directions (While selecting "Free" in Movement), but how about making it so you have the option to move about in eight directions? This would mean that new sprites would have to be created, or not.
Currently Working on: a super, special, secret game thing (and Adventure Joruney: Origins)
Have a great day!

- Turqo

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:08:53 PM »
I don't think he will create more sprites. The sprites come from a pre-made sprite sheet that is uncolored. He layers it then puts it into PB.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 10:20:04 PM »
Hey! What about cut-scenes in the world map?

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 09:19:25 PM »
8-directions don't necessarily have to be more sprites.. If I remember right, the classic Zelda for NES was only three sprites for 8 directions.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 12:45:24 AM »
Hmm... That's interesting!

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • Level 4: Sparr
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 09:26:25 PM »
The Legend of Zelda (NES) only allowed you to move four directions at a time, but there are many retro games that allow you to move in eight directions at a time, while only using three sprites (Four, if counting a flipped side-facing sprite).
Currently Working on: a super, special, secret game thing (and Adventure Joruney: Origins)
Have a great day!

- Turqo