Author Topic: Adventure Journey: Origins  (Read 4255 times)

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • Level 4: Sparr
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
Adventure Journey: Origins
« on: December 27, 2018, 10:09:41 PM »

Hey there! Yeah, it's me. I'm back. I have been very slowly pursuing this project for about a month, which is a prequel to my unreleased game "Adventure Journey". I don't really know why I'm making a prequel. The original Adventure Journey project just sort of expanded into something pretty huge, and I'd thought I make something smaller first - so, this is it! Adventure Journey: Origins is a (sort of) "collectathon" platformer, similar to "Wario Land 4" if you've played that. There will be a handful of levels, each with their own gimmick which will be fleshed out as the player progresses the level like ladders and bars in the first to be released stage. I don't know whenever the full game will release, or the next demo will come out/the current one will be updated but I'm aiming the next demo/update to release in February. As I said, I'm really slow with the development because of other projects and things in my life, however, I won't stop any time soon.

Anyway, the newly released demo, which is on the Explore section right now, is very small but will be updated over time. I have made many more levels and additions to the game, I just wanted to release one stage first since I think that it's easier to focus on and take feedback from. I will add to this post with update notes, screenshots etc. (For both the Demo(s) and the full game).

Anyhow, please give me feedback, positive or negative, if you've played it and if you want to.

Thanks for reading!  ^-^

(Edits were for adding the screenshot and stuff)

INFO UPDATE 1 (03/01/2019):

Happy New Year everyone! I hope you had an amazing year last year, and I wish you a fantastic one this year!

2019 should be a good year for development. I'm aiming for the completion of the game to be around late 2019 - late 2020 (probably the latter).

Here's some info on upcoming levels and demos:

FEATURES OF DEMO 2

Demo 2 will have two playable levels:

Curious Mountain

A level that takes place in the middle part of the game. It's main gimmick are bombs and falling blocks. It has a couple simple puzzles with the bombs, tons of secrets and mildly tricky platforming with falling blocks and such. This levels is quite near completion, it should have screenshots and videos out soon!

Pipe Panic

This level is nearer the end of the middle part, and is pretty expansive and can be difficult. It has a lots and lots and lots of pipes which have different uses, plus wind which always keeps you on your toes. I would say that this is closer to completion than Curious Mountain. I'm not sure if I like it, so I'll wait for your opinions!

Demo 2 has other new features:
  • A Mini Main Menu
  • A Mini Sound Test Menu
  • An expanded Mini Hub (Pictures will arrive in the next update)
  • A Mini Shop (Located in the Hub)
  • Custom Music
  • Custom Sprites
  • Credits (Located in the Hub)
  • Easter Eggs
  • 3 Level Introduction Cut-scenes.
  • A Short Playable Preview of an Upcoming Level in Demo 3 (I won't spoil which!  ;) )
Basically, mini everything.  :P

Demo 2 should release by the end of February (possibly sooner), with as many updates as I can put out leading up towards its release.

UPCOMING LEVELS TO APPEAR IN UPCOMING DEMOS

Below, are some of the other levels planned. None of these are final and they're in no particular order. I'm not going to be detailed on these yet, so here's a list:
  • Snow Summit
  • Hot Road
  • Dust Cliffs
  • Cloud Canvas
  • Crimson Coast
  • Sky-lands
  • Wacky Warps
  • Thorn Thrill
  • Nighttime Shuffle
  • Fearful Factory
  • Blue Cave
  • The Indoor Town
They're not the most creative, but as I said, they're not final. Feature updates for the final version will come soon (like everything else :P ).

Anyway, thanks for reading! More updates will come soon, including some on the full game!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:25:55 PM by TheEpicz1 »
Currently Working on: a super, special, secret game thing (and Adventure Joruney: Origins)
Have a great day!

- Turqo

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
Re: Adventure Journey: Origins
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 10:26:24 PM »
At the moment is very short, so I can't say a lot but the levels are well designed and are good to the view (I don't know how is this expression is in English). That's a point to your score! The idea is very good and I think you will do something great with this!

Keep working on it, it's cool!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 10:26:40 PM by Antikore »
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 11:15:49 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Antikore! And thanks for your kind words too!

I've been focusing on level design and how the player would approach a situation if their new or experienced, instead of coming up with crazy ideas and doing everything out of order, as I did with many other projects of mine. So, levels will come first, then polish. I will add to it soon, with at least one more level. It is really short at the moment, haha.

By the way, I believe you meant "are good to the eyes" when you said, "are good to the view". :)
Currently Working on: a super, special, secret game thing (and Adventure Joruney: Origins)
Have a great day!

- Turqo

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 09:09:09 AM »
Great to have you back, TheEpicz1! I will see your game soon. I currently have no PC      within my reach. Sounds great though! (I am using a touchscreen device thus the short messages. Sorry!)

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Antikore! And thanks for your kind words too!

I've been focusing on level design and how the player would approach a situation if their new or experienced, instead of coming up with crazy ideas and doing everything out of order, as I did with many other projects of mine. So, levels will come first, then polish. I will add to it soon, with at least one more level. It is really short at the moment, haha.

By the way, I believe you meant "are good to the eyes" when you said, "are good to the view". :)
When I said "are good to the view", probably I meant that. (Spanish expressions are just different than english ones.)

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »
Great to have you back, TheEpicz1! I will see your game soon. I currently have no PC      within my reach. Sounds great though! (I am using a touchscreen device thus the short messages. Sorry!)

Thanks, CGM! It's ok.

When I said "are good to the view", probably I meant that. (Spanish expressions are just different than english ones.)

I understand.  :)  You were close though!  :)
Have a great day!

- Turqo

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 02:16:24 AM »
Quite close!

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 12:40:30 AM »
The game seems to become very promising if looking the beginning, hub, and style about how you designed your game. It is not that logical in the storyline to have a responsibility to collect all certain items more than dodging obstacles and finding a way out from the level otherwise but more variants about what you have to do to finish the level are for sure appreciated. This reminds like a mission type where you have some kind of task to complete in order to accomplish the mission. That is why I suggest you design that kind of levels with cutscenes and information where someone will give the player task to do something for some amount of coins, special items or just like for a soldier who must stand for good people. Your free choice of course, but levels with a special task should have some automatic and bigger notification before the beginning which is my opinion. ::)
For example, you need to destroy all Missile Launchers in Power Plant from my own game instead of just searching for an exit but I designed this level so it fits with Missile Launchers and so you can understand why you need to do it. Destroying Missile Launchers will open special security doors to move forward. :)

Otherwise, I beat your game with a first try. :) But yeah, I hope you understand what I meant... Or why I wrote what I wrote. You should present a reason why we need to collect those items. :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 12:41:02 AM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 04:52:18 PM »
The game seems to become very promising if looking the beginning, hub, and style about how you designed your game. It is not that logical in the storyline to have a responsibility to collect all certain items more than dodging obstacles and finding a way out from the level otherwise but more variants about what you have to do to finish the level are for sure appreciated. This reminds like a mission type where you have some kind of task to complete in order to accomplish the mission. That is why I suggest you design that kind of levels with cutscenes and information where someone will give the player task to do something for some amount of coins, special items or just like for a soldier who must stand for good people. Your free choice of course, but levels with a special task should have some automatic and bigger notification before the beginning which is my opinion. ::)
For example, you need to destroy all Missile Launchers in Power Plant from my own game instead of just searching for an exit but I designed this level so it fits with Missile Launchers and so you can understand why you need to do it. Destroying Missile Launchers will open special security doors to move forward. :)

Otherwise, I beat your game with a first try. :) But yeah, I hope you understand what I meant... Or why I wrote what I wrote. You should present a reason why we need to collect those items. :)

Thanks, Alley! And thank you for the feedback too  :). I totally understand what you meant. I think I've come up with a story to give a reason for collecting the items:

Your home village has been destroyed long ago, and you've been wandering around completely lost ever since. Suddenly, you come across a gigantic castle, with the owner offering you to live in it, along with them, if you prove your worth by completing a set of challenges. (Those challenges are the main stages). The castle is the main hub of sorts (similar to "The Land of Dreams" from Invasion). By the second floor of the castle, the owner turns into a bit of an antagonist and the story shifts but the gameplay is still similar. The rest is a mystery  ;)

Your score will increase by collecting gems. To progress with each floor in the castle, you need to hit a certain goal with your score, like 50,000+, for example. The score criteria are easy to hit if you complete all of the stages, but it's your choice if you want to. The stages can be completed out of order, but only on each floor. However, there is a recommended order. I'm pretty sure that system will work with the help of variables.
Have a great day!

- Turqo

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 05:06:34 PM »
If you believe that your system will work and you have an imagination about how to use features from PB to realize it then your system probably will work sooner or later. ;) I have learned it by making Invasion: Going Personal. Just keep building just one project and don't stop before you will fill your goal! O:-)  Platform Builder is powerful enough to realize everything from what we have an imagination already long time ago and now especially because it is simple and clear to see everything through.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:08:31 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »
If you believe that your system will work and you have an imagination about how to use features from PB to realize it then your system probably will work sooner or later. ;) I have learned it by making Invasion: Going Personal. Just keep building just one project and don't stop before you will fill your goal! O:-)  Platform Builder is powerful enough to realize everything from what we have an imagination already long time ago and now especially because it is simple and clear to see everything through.

Thank you for your support and advice, Alley!
Have a great day!

- Turqo

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 03:04:41 PM »
New Infomation Update everyone! I will edit the original post every time there's an update.
Have a great day!

- Turqo

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 08:12:55 PM »
Great!

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2019, 12:46:18 AM »
The second information Update will be out much later today. I've got some footage and screenshots of both upcoming stages ready because they're nearly complete! I have a feeling Demo 2 will release much sooner than expected!   ;D
Have a great day!

- Turqo

Antikore

• View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 07:24:54 PM »
Wow, a new "mini" description ;D