Author Topic: Jet Set Manic Adventure  (Read 4587 times)

saiwong3268

• Level 6: Milder
    • View Profile
Jet Set Manic Adventure
« on: November 30, 2019, 03:58:28 PM »
Hello,

I would be pleased if you could try out my first game using Platform Builder

It is called "Jet Set Manic Adventure"

it currently has 3 levels (with a placeholder 4th level) and would welcome any feedback

p.s.
Update: I currently have 10 levels done in the game. I am Beta testing and tweeking them to be published later.

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Jet Set Manic Adventure
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2019, 04:10:32 PM »
I will play the game as soon as Explore starts working again. :)

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 09:10:43 PM »
I will play the game as soon as Explore starts working again. :)
?!?!?!? *ded*
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 10:38:10 AM »
I will try out when they explore section starts to work again, it seems cool.
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 06:56:52 PM »
Some screenshots

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 07:25:01 PM »
I must admit that looking those images I get a really good nostalgy but I think that in the game it wouldn't hold me for too long. Your random choice of tiles, backgrounds, obstacles and probably even music is not a good skill about how to design your game properly. I am sorry but I hope you will accept it instead of quitting. It is not too difficult to make your levels to look more reasonable using PB. ;)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:26:30 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 08:04:38 PM »
Alley, the game is not complete yet. Every good game designer make first a prototyp that define the level design of the level and they visually polish it AFTER. This is NaughtyDog phylosophy. And with this they always made excellent games. (well except Jak X lol)
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:10:53 AM »
JET SET MANIC ADVENTURE REVIEW
The game is really short, but this is not finished (and it make it easier to speedrun). The first 3 levels of the game are finishable only by collecting all collectibles of the level. Sometimes tiles are not linked. Altought the game is promising, it needs more polish. Also, at the first level, the items were spawning at the top of the question blocks, but I couldn't jump high enough, and I did not have super jump(that thing that make us jump higher while running in Mario games) so I had to go at the higher platforms to land on the top of the question blocks and then get the items.
And the third level is horrible. Those little enemies that jump randomly, the ice slopes... Uuhhhhhhh.
6/10

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 10:43:09 AM »
JET SET MANIC ADVENTURE REVIEW
Also, at the first level, the items were spawning at the top of the question blocks, but I couldn't jump high enough, and I did not have super jump(that thing that make us jump higher while running in Mario games) so I had to go at the higher platforms to land on the top of the question blocks and then get the items.
6/10

This is by design. I wanted to provide a "puzzle" for players to work out as to how to get the items.

Glad you worked it out.

My initial focus is to make the levels as playable as I can, then move on to polish/presentation.

Thank you for taking time to try out my game and to give feedback

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 11:13:59 AM »
This is by design. I wanted to provide a "puzzle" for players to work out as to how to get the items.

Glad you worked it out.

My initial focus is to make the levels as playable as I can, then move on to polish/presentation.

Thank you for taking time to try out my game and to give feedback
Your initial focus is good, it is exactly Naughty Dog philosophy. And for the feedback, it's totally normal. It's what make games live.

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 05:54:10 PM »
I'll play it later today. :)

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2019, 05:56:03 PM »
it's fair for a first try. lacking in visual department, I hope you touch on that sooner than later.
I'm sure you can take more advantage of given tools as you advance.
not much to say now, I'll wait for an update. :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 05:57:32 PM by Gizgord »

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 10:20:57 PM »
I just played the game and my opinion remains the same. Yeah, Warrior555MainGanon can be probably right about the game is not being done and so the game may become better also. However, taking this as an excuse, I also can say my opinion is not that good and may change in time when the game gets improved and updated. At the same time, a lot of people here can't keep work with their projects for too long so the games which don't begin big never probably will.

Basically, I started my alternative project same way with a priority to be fast rather than good first but also I added some most important rules, however, like monsters, their roles, when the stronger ones will come, some new ACS functions to make one different from the other, etc. ::) PB is not a complicated application and the most important rules for the beginners should be still at least connected tiles, fitting music, backgrounds and such to gain at least some first interest. Noone asks for advanced systems, such as customs, new sprites music, crushers, lasers and such. Just placing things randomly may also get a developer's brains crashed very soon when it is time to polish things. You basically will need to replace everything.
You even can't plan anything special without building at least the first amateur shapes of the level, without using certain things, etc because that is how it will work. In toolkits, the most difficult moments to create something big is considering with proper choices and positions.

My first suggestions for everyone no matter if they are my close friends or not are that the level tiles must be connected, fitting backgrounds and music, nothing special but still something that looks like a regular game. :)
Alley (T_Alj5)

saiwong3268

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 01:27:24 PM »
that the level tiles must be connected, fitting backgrounds and music, nothing special but still something that looks like a regular game. :)

Alley, you need to understand that my game, as its title reflects, is a homage to older platform games
such as "Manic Miner" and "Jet Set Willy". The levels are designed in the same style which includes
unconnected tiles

Just do a Google search to view pictures of their levels and you will see why my levels are designed in this way. see link below:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=manic+miner+levels&FORM=HDRSC2

Here are some example pictures from the games

Chuckie Egg level

Alley

• The Blue Leader
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
I understand what you are pointing out about but please don't think I haven't considered completely about what I am complaining about!
First I can argue on your own examples if you are trying to say that tiles are not connected in the game showed by you. :) Secondly, you may not understand completely what I am trying to say. To understand, please watch the picture below and answer if you actually understand!

Now, okay, I agree that your Alpha is not too difficult to be polished to look like a game you showed me later. However, you then can make your game look like an old original and PB does have some simple resources to start with such a completely black background. At the end of the development, it should have no quality graphics tiles when being unproperly connected between those tiles. See? Cutting out some lines, shapes, colors from one piece of ground can make a whole line of the ground look all connected.

The final decision, of course, is yours if you still think I am not right about what should you fix but you only can wake some interest by your close friends that way. There is a lot of regular looking stuff already now and people are not going to choose a game for a long gameplay experience where things even haven't been connected.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 03:20:06 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)