Author Topic: Stickman: The Movie (Tenative Title) | UPDATED FIRST POST!  (Read 5814 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Stickman: And the Search for the Unknown Treasure THE MOVIE
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 04:30:49 PM »
Yeah, and I've given it some thought, and visually, IDK if I want to go the route of a cartoonish look, or if I want it to take on a more realistic vibe. I liked the idea of a cartoonish looking world because it's simple, and it fits well with the rather awkward story. Plus, it's intended to be a family friendly film obviously, and I like the idea of cartoony visuals better. I'm not sure where the direction of the art will go. Since it's about a cartoonish looking stickman, it only makes sense to have it match the characters looks. I'm not that good (yet) with making stunning visuals in blender, but I do plan on doing a few experiments to see if I can pull it off. I mean, I can do realistic lighting, but as for modeling realistic objects, that's not my cup of tea. I can easily download textures off the internet and apply them to an object with a fitting material easily. But actually modeling complex realistic objects isn't my strong suit. A lot of games have the art style I'm looking for. If I go the cartoonish route, it'll look something like Human Fall Flat. But, with better lighting thus making it look even better. I like low-poly, and I think I'll go with that.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2020, 05:23:56 AM »
Update:

The movie production is going well. It's taking priority over ASM. For those of you anxious to see ASM complete, you'll be waiting at least a few more years. (Depressing, right?)

Blender is a massive program, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of it. I've done many tests and experiments, and I'm more certain on the direction this movie is going to go.

The movie genre: Action/Adventure/Comedy/Mystery/Suspense/Slapstick-humor

Movie art-style: A mix between cartoon (cartoony look) with some nice textures that don't make it bland. I'd go the realistic route if my PC could handle it, but blender crashes if I do much more than what I've got it set for. Sorry, Warrior, but I'm not going to be able to make it look like the killer bean movie. I can't even do a preview render without the program crashing instantly. If I can't preview render, or even test certain things without it crashing, I just can't do it.

The movie will most likely be a prequel to ASM. I've got an idea of it giving background to Mike's life. My plans are quite...well, they're tall orders. My plan is to produce this low-level movie that I'm not putting hardly any money into, that has simple animation, fairly simple story, and simple visuals, and then work on ASM. I've had ideas for over a year now about making ASM's game plot into a cartoon series. I really wanted to do this, but I just couldn't. With my knowledge of blender, I think I could theoretically pull this off. Don't expect super high-end quality, but I want to do the very best I can. I hope to produce a full series covering the entire game of ASM. This movie would be a prequel. But how do stickmen and real people fit together? I'll leave that to your own imagination for the moment.

As I believe I've stated before, the movie will have many things similar to the Stickman's Bad Luck game plot. While unfortunately, I've taken too many liberties to actually re-make the scenes from the game into a 3D movie, I'll have lots of references from the game in the movie.

I would have had an image for you from a scene I've taken from the game, and put into the movie, but it's still rendering as I type. Seriously, I've got some really high lighting standards that my PC just can't handle right now. I want to make the movie's visuals look the best they can. There will likely be some art inconsistencies, but I don't think they'll be too big a deal.

Lastly, I'm working on the plot. It'll have some pretty big twists. Things you weren't looking for. I hope it'll be a very enjoyable film. That is, if I can get it finished. Expect news to come out slowly. I've got a lot of things to work out still, and I hope I can work them out soon. Stay tuned, and I've got some big surprises I'm holding back for now.

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 07:49:19 PM »
Update:

The movie production is going well. It's taking priority over ASM. For those of you anxious to see ASM complete, you'll be waiting at least a few more years. (Depressing, right?)

Blender is a massive program, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of it. I've done many tests and experiments, and I'm more certain on the direction this movie is going to go.

The movie genre: Action/Adventure/Comedy/Mystery/Suspense/Slapstick-humor

Movie art-style: A mix between cartoon (cartoony look) with some nice textures that don't make it bland. I'd go the realistic route if my PC could handle it, but blender crashes if I do much more than what I've got it set for. Sorry, Warrior, but I'm not going to be able to make it look like the killer bean movie. I can't even do a preview render without the program crashing instantly. If I can't preview render, or even test certain things without it crashing, I just can't do it.

The movie will most likely be a prequel to ASM. I've got an idea of it giving background to Mike's life. My plans are quite...well, they're tall orders. My plan is to produce this low-level movie that I'm not putting hardly any money into, that has simple animation, fairly simple story, and simple visuals, and then work on ASM. I've had ideas for over a year now about making ASM's game plot into a cartoon series. I really wanted to do this, but I just couldn't. With my knowledge of blender, I think I could theoretically pull this off. Don't expect super high-end quality, but I want to do the very best I can. I hope to produce a full series covering the entire game of ASM. This movie would be a prequel. But how do stickmen and real people fit together? I'll leave that to your own imagination for the moment.

As I believe I've stated before, the movie will have many things similar to the Stickman's Bad Luck game plot. While unfortunately, I've taken too many liberties to actually re-make the scenes from the game into a 3D movie, I'll have lots of references from the game in the movie.

I would have had an image for you from a scene I've taken from the game, and put into the movie, but it's still rendering as I type. Seriously, I've got some really high lighting standards that my PC just can't handle right now. I want to make the movie's visuals look the best they can. There will likely be some art inconsistencies, but I don't think they'll be too big a deal.

Lastly, I'm working on the plot. It'll have some pretty big twists. Things you weren't looking for. I hope it'll be a very enjoyable film. That is, if I can get it finished. Expect news to come out slowly. I've got a lot of things to work out still, and I hope I can work them out soon. Stay tuned, and I've got some big surprises I'm holding back for now.
Just an idea but if your computer struggle to render good lightning effects, maybe you should go instead for Guilty Gear Xrd cel-shaded 3d (basically 3d that is made to imitate classic anime, including the "defaults" to make it look like 2d and animations that are less fluid than the camera's), it will accelerate your rendering, good 2d looks better than 3d, and it would actually gives to the movie a much better art direction than other movies.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
I'll look into that, thanks!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 04:26:42 PM »
It's apparently not compatible with blender, so I likely won't use it. Here's a shot from one of the first scenes. It's not animated yet, but here's an idea of what the film will look like.

This image took a few hours to render, so, it's not like I can just instantly render these out in no time. Also, you'll notice a bit of noise especially in that dark area underneat the counter off to the left. Also, the window's material could use a little bit of work to reflect the sunlight, and to give a little more reflection.

Also, the aspect ratio doesn't show you as much as it could have. I was trying to get that movie feel. Which I probably won't go for in the end. But this at least gives you an idea of how good the movie will look. I used some ultra-realistic lighting techniques so it looks better than the average blender render. I learned a secret about blender that rocked my worldview on blender. I'll be using the highest possible quality lighting. Great visuals mixed with (hopefully, don't set your hopes too high) good animation will make the movie really good. It won't appeal to everyone, and I doubt Mechasaur will ever have enough interest to see the first 5 minutes of it. Anyway, I'm not sure of all of the locations it'll take place yet. We'll see as I develop the story more. Thank you all for your support!
I'll likely update the image later with some more lighting effects and props!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 04:44:36 PM by Christian Game Maker »

Mechasaur

• No Normies Allowed
  • Level 13: Porcuprick
  • Proud Admin of Plugger's Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 01:32:52 AM »
Just an idea but if your computer struggle to render good lightning effects, maybe you should go instead for Guilty Gear Xrd cel-shaded 3d (basically 3d that is made to imitate classic anime, including the "defaults" to make it look like 2d and animations that are less fluid than the camera's), it will accelerate your rendering, good 2d looks better than 3d, and it would actually gives to the movie a much better art direction than other movies.

ah, I see you're a man of culture as well

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 02:45:15 PM »

Lookin' better, ain't it? I've showed a lot of you forum members these really neat pics in PMs and such, and as you can tell, I'm really making my computer scream when I click that render button. But it's worth the render wait to reveal how detailed these images really are. Gone are the days of cheap graphics! Both pictures have yet to have more detail applied to them.
The good news, is that I'm almost done with this location in the movie! I'd say about 3-5 scenes of the movie take place here.

All that's left is completing the house interior, adding several more trees and bushes in the forest, creating more bush variants, (maybe some tree variants, but it already looks nice so I'll probably just leave it as-is.)
As far as animation goes, I've got a little bit animated, but it's not anything worthy to look at. I'll probably re-animate everything several times before I'm satisfied with it.
As for the story, I've yet to figure out some things. I've got a bit of it worked out, which I think I'll go the method of bringing the viewer into the world without any context, and then slowly feed the viewer bits and pieces of context to understand what's happening. Since that's what the main character (stickman) experiences. He basically gets immersed into a world he doesn't recognize, and has to figure out how to restore it. Yeah, lame plot I know. But it's a bit more complex than that. The story runs deep, and I'm actually hoping this plot will be more or less original.

As for movie's running time, I'm aiming for at least 1 hour because of all the story material I've got.
Movie genre update: Action/Adventure/Comedy/Science-Fiction/Animation and MAYBE some fantasy. I'm not sure about that. I expect to have the first few scenes done within the next 3 months. (Hopefully.)
Just gotta add more trees, fix the trees, create and add rocks, add flowing water for the river, design a few cars, complete the house exterior/interior, add random things around the scene, and then I think it'll be all set for animation. But it'll probably be another week or 2 before I can get all of that done. It's a long process, but the more stuff I make, the faster I get. My plans for the rest of this week are to add rocks, correct the trees, and get a bit more of that house interior done.

That's all for now. ;)

Aeterna Games | Æ

• Game Developer and Creator of Aeterna Games | Æ
  • Level 10: Jelli
  • I‘m a big fan of Escape-Rooms =)
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 04:33:59 PM »
I thought it’s a PB Community and not Blender?
My Projects:

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 04:53:16 PM »
This is game-related. A game will be released alongside this movie. And it's also related to SBL. It's also a work in progress. It might not be being made in PB, but it's related to it. So, it counts.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2020, 04:13:08 PM »
This is game-related. A game will be released alongside this movie. And it's also related to SBL. It's also a work in progress. It might not be being made in PB, but it's related to it. So, it counts.

Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2020, 08:24:47 PM »
You are aware it's not Stickman's Bad Luck 2. It's virtually impossible to make a direct sequel unless you re-wrote the original game's plot.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »
You are aware it's not Stickman's Bad Luck 2. It's virtually impossible to make a direct sequel unless you re-wrote the original game's plot.
Have you heard of time travelling

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2020, 03:43:07 PM »
A new concept to me. Never heard of it.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2020, 12:19:41 PM »
A new concept to me. Never heard of it.
Time travel is the concept to "travel through time into the past or the future". I would post here a example using a part of Matt's Adventure lore (going from the 1st to the 2nd game), but everyone would know about it even before it's announced, so I will dm it to you instead. Of course, don't talk of it to anyone else.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »
I was joking. I've heard time travel stories for as long as I can remember.