Author Topic: Platform Builder 8.0 is OUT!  (Read 1878 times)

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
Platform Builder 8.0 is OUT!
« on: June 06, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »
Hi everyone!

Today's the big release of Platform Builder 8.0! Thank you for everyone who helped beta test. If there are still unresolved issues with Platform Builder, please report them where you normally would on the forum page. The 8.0 Beta forums will be closed soon.

All of the updates for 8.0 are listed here. There are a couple new things at the top of the list which were not in the beta versions at all. There are brand new lighting controls which you can use to create very nice looks for your areas. You also have more settings for invisible light blocks and you can lower the intensity of every camera lens. Try playing around with these new controls in world and area settings.

The Platform Builder command page is updated with all the new commands in 8.0. For those who haven't been on the Beta version, here is a brief overview of new commands you can look out for:
  • save game 5: saves a game under save slot 5. And no, there are no limits for the number of save slots. 
  • load game 5: loads s game under save slot 5.
  • [game]: gives you the game save slot that you are currently using.
  • if game exists = 5: Checks if a game exists under save slot 5.
  • new game = 5: Starts a new game under save slot 5.
  • delete game = 5: Deletes a game under save slot 5. (will not work if you're trying to delete current game)
  • copy game 1, 3: Makes a copy of game 1 and saves it as game 3.
  • if year = 2021: A bunch of conditionals for checking time-related things. Can also be put in brackets.
  • if month > 5
  • if day != 14
  • if hour > 5
  • if minute = 10
  • if second = 30
  • if block count = 1: Checks the number of blocks nearby.
  • enemy projectile 5 = block 6: Some new things you can to do with projectiles and npc's to change stuff around
  • npc 4 = character projectile 2
  • view distance = 7: You can now use 1-9, where 1 is closest and 9 is farthest.
  • if current area: conditional for the area.
  • splash screen: Goes to splash screen
  • show options: Shows game options
  • if type = enemy: Conditionals for checking what something is.
  • if type = itemif type = characterif type = npcif type = projectileif type = projectile
  • if type = character projectileif type = enemyprojectile
  • if type = sprite.if distance to enemy 3 < 50: Checks the distance to something. Can also be used for block, item, sprite, character, etc.
  • char sprite revert = 4: Sets the character sprite to your custom sprite with an ID of 4. This will continue until the animate of that sprite ends, and then it will revert back to the normal character sprite.
  • char sprite hold = 3: Sets the character sprite to your custom sprite with an ID of 3. When the sprite animation ends, it will remain on the final frame of that sprite.
  • char sprite repeat = 3: The new character sprite will animate repeatedly.
  • reset char sprite: This will remove any temporary sprite you put for the character.
  • enemy 2 visible = false: Makes enemies of ID 2 to be invisible. ID is not necessary if called from an enemy. This also works for items, projectiles, sprites, etc.enemy 1 alpha = 50: Set's the alpha of Enemy 1 to 50%. ID is not necessary if called from an enemy. Should be between 0 and 100.item 1 alpha -= 25: Removes 25% of alpha from item 1.
  • spawn enemy 1, mouse: Spawns enemy 1 over the mouse cursor
  • spawn enemy 1, self: Spawns enemy 1 over whatever is calling the commandspawn enemy 1, closest spawn: spawns enemy 1 from the closest invisible spawn block.
  • spawn enemy 1, farthest spawn: spawns enemy 1 from the farthest invisible spawn block.spawn enemy 1, random spawn: spawns enemy 1 from a random spawn block.weak lightning: Various lightning commands
  • medium lightningstrong lightning
  • pause music: Pauses the music. This can also be used as a conditional.unpause music: Unpauses the music
  • loop music = false: Causes new music to not loop. For this to work, it must be called before you play the music. This can also be used as a conditional
  • if key = none: Conditional checks if no character movement or action key is pressed.
  • if grounded: Conditional checks if the character is on the ground.with closest enemy 2: Cases all the following commands to apply to the closest enemy of an ID 2 within view. Without the ID, it will check for the closest of any custom enemy. This also works for items, blocks, etc.
  • with farthest enemy 2: Same idea, but the farthest enemy.
  • with random enemy 2: Same idea, but a random enemy.
  • with spawned: Causes all the following commands to apply to whatever was most recently created. This may something created from commands, but it would also include things like a recently fired projectile, an item that just came out of a block, etc.
  • Color = 75, 117, 89: Sets the color to RGB values of 75,117,89. In this example, that gives you a nice forest green.
Enjoy using Platform Builder 8.0! And as always, let me know if you see more bugs/errors so that I can address them.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
Re: Platform Builder 8.0 is OUT!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 05:32:03 PM »
So nice! But will be neat if we have more ease system of lightning as my Dungeon game has a whole lot of stuff related to lightning from the old version and updating it to the new version will be hard.
Will be cool at least a copy/paste lightning settings between areas and between light blocks.

Also. Its just me or the Command Prompt page is epicly broken?
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 07:09:58 PM »
So nice! But will be neat if we have more ease system of lightning as my Dungeon game has a whole lot of stuff related to lightning from the old version and updating it to the new version will be hard.
Will be cool at least a copy/paste lightning settings between areas and between light blocks.

Also. Its just me or the Command Prompt page is epicly broken?

You shouldn't need to do anything converting the old lighting system to the new system. "Castle g" in the example file uses darkness. It still works and I haven't touched it since adding the new lighting system.

And thanks for noting that on the command prompt. It must have glitched when I tried to publish the updated version. It's fixed now.

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »

You shouldn't need to do anything converting the old lighting system to the new system. "Castle g" in the example file uses darkness. It still works and I haven't touched it since adding the new lighting system.

And thanks for noting that on the command prompt. It must have glitched when I tried to publish the updated version. It's fixed now.
Ok nice. The old system had a lot of lights which now just don't work and I was using the light item to make the darkness not too dark to give good effect. Converting almost 30 rooms will be a big pain but doable.

EDIT: Seems that in the forums in general I cant create new topics lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:51:52 AM by Antikore »
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

War

• "The top player is here!"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 10:03:19 AM »
So 4-frames limited attacks are not yet fixed.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 02:32:23 PM »
So 4-frames limited attacks are not yet fixed.

I address an error related to melee attacks using custom sprites. That has been fixed. But if you are still getting weird visual results like in your video, you better send me your game file so I can take a closer look.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 03:37:34 PM »

I address an error related to melee attacks using custom sprites. That has been fixed. But if you are still getting weird visual results like in your video, you better send me your game file so I can take a closer look.
That's unrelated to the melee attack glitch, this time attacks seems limited to 4-frames and does not keeps the sprite speed.
Here's a record of the glitch.
https://youtu.be/j2vt4SbeAp8
And the sprite used.
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 09:13:08 PM »
Animation speed is working fine for me, but I see a problem with it ending too soon, like you said. I'll make a fix for that.

Until the next patch, it looks like the problem is related to the attack style. This is intentional for melee attacks because the full attack is in two button presses, but it's also happening for attack style front. Try setting the attack style to full body for now.

War

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 07:56:09 AM »
Animation speed is working fine for me, but I see a problem with it ending too soon, like you said. I'll make a fix for that.

Until the next patch, it looks like the problem is related to the attack style. This is intentional for melee attacks because the full attack is in two button presses, but it's also happening for attack style front. Try setting the attack style to full body for now.
Thx it worked, hope the patch will be out soon