Author Topic: Greetings from WidgetKitty  (Read 1087 times)

WidgetKitty

• Level 3: Plugger
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel, where I'll be posting videos of my games
Greetings from WidgetKitty
« on: September 13, 2022, 11:09:14 PM »
Hello everybody! I'm going by Widget Kitty - the name I intend to release games under. Mostly I work on RPGs, and their graphics and soundtracks, but have always dreamed of making a decent platformer - just never found a decent program. Then I found and tried out Platform Builder back in Spring, thought it had a lot of promise. The other day I saw the trailer for v10, went back and updated, and after a few hours of tinkering I was convinced to buy the Pro version and put some serious effort into a new game.

I've got four levels done now, along with a bunch of custom blocks and enemies, slowly editing the sprite sheets to my own designs. I've got four enemy types done so far - the skeletons were the most work! Anyway, I'll post some screenshots below to show what I've got done - I should probably make a thread for this game and its updates?

I have enough ready for a demo, so maybe I should put one up through the publisher? I noticed though, when I extract to an EXE, the game crashes after level 1 with a long error code. That I'll have to figure out, but I emailed it as a bug report already. Anyway, hope you like my screenshots! For context, this game stars a spy girl on a mission to infiltrate a mad doctor's island base, but her boat is shot by cannons, and she's left stranded on a beach with no equipment - so, her sprite will update as you get her spy gear back.

Level 1, with my bomb enemies, "Powcherries":

World map so far:

Shop selling health items and a 1-Up:

Level 3, with one of my bees:

Outside the first fortress, with a Stingbat and some Skelwards:

Thanks for reading and taking a look!

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from WidgetKitty
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 10:29:03 PM »
hello WidgetKitty! we're glad you found us. meeting new users is always exciting  8)

your project is looking pretty good. can't wait to play it. it will take a day/couple of days to complete the manual review.

unfortunately there's not much you can do in bugs/fatal errors you encounter, but to contact the developer (TingThing) and be cooperative (describe the problem, share some files if need be).  O:-)

WidgetKitty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 12:18:12 AM »
hello WidgetKitty! we're glad you found us. meeting new users is always exciting  8)

your project is looking pretty good. can't wait to play it.

Hi, thank you! Yeah, I probably have enough ready for a demo, I've been working on it constantly since this post. Bunch more custom block graphics, new levels and bonus areas. Got a little more I'd like to finish tonight, then I'll put up a threat about it. Still need to come up with a name, that's the hardest part!

War

• "The top player is here!"
  • Level 20: Nobom
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 02:56:12 PM »
I noticed though, when I extract to an EXE, the game crashes after level 1 with a long error code. That I'll have to figure out, but I emailed it as a bug report already.
@WidgetKitty you should also join the Plugger's Zone Discord server, it is more active than the forums and there is actually a channel to discuss bugs in #report-bugs. Also more practical to communicate that way with most active members of the community
Hey, wassup wassup? My name is Warrior555MainsGanon (but just call me War) and I'm the main guy behind Megaman Zero Online and the upcoming Matt's Adventure! I don't speak often here but I'm a very friendly lad so if you wanna talk, don't hesitate!

WidgetKitty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 04:05:21 AM »
...you should also join the Plugger's Zone Discord server...

It's been a while since I've used Discord, I kinda dislike live chat and message boards in general, but maybe I'll reactivate and join in some time. Probably won't run into the same issues on a Platform Builder server, and I'm likely to need more help...