Author Topic: Few questions about scrolling, coins and shot.  (Read 641 times)

Free_Eagle

• Level 3: Plugger
    • View Profile
Few questions about scrolling, coins and shot.
« on: May 18, 2023, 04:32:48 PM »
Hello, me again!
I have some questions, hope it's ok to post them in one topic.

1) Can the coin image be changed? For example, if I want to collect clover (or other stuff). I didn't find any tiles for that (Picture Money).
2) Is it possible to get a life for 100 coins (or clover in my case) and it starts again from 0? If yes, how?
3) Is it possible to change the HUD graphically. It doesn't fit my 8-bit style ;)
4) Is it possible to fix the scrolling in one direction? So only to the right (not up if i jump). And so with the character go over the screen, to get to a secret place like in Mario (warp zones)?
5) Jumping on the enemy kills him, but it also damages me (Character). Can this be changed? So just jumping on an enemy doesn't damage the character. Face to face damage is possible.
6) How can I turn off the automatic shot? A push on button is also one shot. Even if i stay longer.

Thanks so much for your help and time!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:08:31 PM by Free_Eagle »
Sorry for my bad english...

Gizgord

• average
  • Level 18: Statix
    • View Profile
Re: Few questions about scrolling, coins and shot.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 06:58:42 PM »
My answers won't be too specific, so I recommend you refer to the Command Prompt page. If you're not comfortable with using commands, check TingThing's tutorial. It may be a good idea to watch the entire playlist in general, it's a nice starting point: you may even learn some new things  C:-) O:-)
https://theplatformbuilder.com/command-prompt/

1. You can change coin sprites from the Items 2 sprite sheet, alternatively upload your graphic as a "Sprite" and replace default coins with custom items. This has other perks as well.
2. The easiest solution would be to change currencies from coins to stars. If this has to be money, you can add a conditional like this:
Code: [Select]
if money=100
{
money=0
//add whatever you want to happen
}
Best used with a custom item, as they have command prompts that can check for this only when they're collected. Adding this to a Looping command prompt would work fine, if not a bit wasteful. Looping prompts essentially repeat a set of commands every few frames.. so don't get too carried away or your game might get choppy  ;D
3. Yes, you can change most of the HUD with commands. I don't remember if anyone made a good tutorial/presentation... it would be useful because it's pretty clunky and unintuitive. I could guide you through that process if you want to deal with that.
4. Change scrolling settings from Loose to Fixed (I believe that's what they're called). The screen will stay fixed vertically.
5. What enemy are you using? Is it one of the default ones or is it custom?
6. Automatic isn't the default setting. I'm not sure what you mean by this, did you change th setting somewhere or do you want to limit the amount of bullets that can be on screen?

Free_Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 05:08:13 PM »
Thanks for the information!

1✔) Ah, there it is. I Changed it up and it looks a lot better.
2✔) Changed the clover from money to star. Star has the function with 100 stars is a life. Didn't know that.
3✔) Looks much better (Picture HUD-3) ;D.
4!) I can't find any scrolling options. Only Character scrolling and automatic scrolling.
5!) I have custom enemy (picture Enemy).
6✔) I found it in the character setup (Projectile Freqensy).

Thanks for your help ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 05:11:42 PM by Free_Eagle »

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 09:58:41 PM »
4) what are you referring to? there is a button for Fixed and Loose movement in the "View" window of Area Settings. are you trying to set scrolling somewhere else in the game?
5) no need for "Harmed by Character" to be checked. this setting makes it so every collision with the player will kill the enemy, which is more useful for... say puzzles, or set-pieces. might be causing you the problems, for some weird reason. either that or turn off "Harm Character", it's your call.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 09:59:36 PM by Gizgord »

Free_Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 04:51:16 PM »
Should i have learned English better. ::)

4) I can choose between "follow Character" and "Travel". "Follow Character is good. Only when jumping does the screen move with it. It would be great if i could say "yes" to the left and right in "Follow Character" and "no" to Up and down.
Scroll up and down is bad for secret passages. Like the Video "Fear2"

5) Hmm... Have tried everything...
Both off = Character can go through enemy.
Harm Character = Character dies on each side and enemy lives.
Harmed by character = enemy dies on each side and both on = everyone dies.

I would find it better than in "Mario Bross". Face to face the character dies and jump on enemy the enemy dies.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 05:28:08 PM by Free_Eagle »

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 07:57:17 PM »
4) I saw the video and I think that boundary arrows (the orange ones) is all you need.
5) I don't know what's going on there. Default enemy setting work just like Mario. can I see your character settings, in case you changed something there?

Free_Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 05:22:36 PM »
4) Orange arrows? I think I'm missing a page. I click on settings and then I have this menu "Area Settings" (scrolling2.png). In "View" i can change "Follow Character" or "Travel..."
5) ??? OK, Hmm... You mean that (Character.png)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 05:24:05 PM by Free_Eagle »

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2023, 09:30:03 PM »
4) I should have been more specific. boundary arrows (they're orange) are listed in the item box. you place them in the area editor.
5) here's the problem: you unchecked Stomp Attack. this is what makes you deal damage when jumping on an enemy. make sure to turn this on

Free_Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2023, 09:13:36 AM »
4✔) Ahhhh, this arrows! Ok, now I understand. Tried it and it works great  ;D Yes, this is awesome!
5✔) Ok "Stomp Attack" ???. Yes, yes, yes!! Now it works as expected! Always thought it was for Ninja games or something ::).

Sir, you are great!

Many thanks for the amazing help.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2023, 09:15:50 AM by Free_Eagle »

Gizgord

• average
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2023, 07:49:45 PM »
I'm happy to help :D