Author Topic: Announcing the Ultimate Platformer Engine  (Read 9363 times)

CGM

• Christian, 3D artist, former Platform Builder gamdev
  • Master Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Announcing the Ultimate Platformer Engine
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 07:51:16 PM »
I've got another question. Can we make our things that we add options in PB? Like, say we create a command, how can we use it in PB to place it in our game?

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
  • Level 20: Nobom
  • Creator and Developer of Platform Builder
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 11:51:39 PM »
I've got another question. Can we make our things that we add options in PB? Like, say we create a command, how can we use it in PB to place it in our game?

What do you mean "use it in PB"?? We are talking about the UPE, not PB.

Turqo

• I'm here, then I'm not
  • Level 4: Sparr
  • toad voice lol
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 06:34:25 PM »

The UPE contains the code to run your PB games. If you change that code you could change how your PB games are run.

Take your pounce move for example. You could create a game in PB that uses ground pounds. But when you import that game into the UPE, you could change how ground pounds work so that the character moves forward during a ground pound.

Here's another example. In Platform Builder, you could write a command that says "turbo = true." This wouldn't do anything in Platform Builder because there is no "turbo" command. But you could important that game into the UPE and add a turbo command to the code for the command prompt, and make that command do something.

None of that changes Platform Builder. It just changes the code which will run your game. I am the only who has the full code for Platform Builder and the ability to modify Platform Builder and the ability to update Platform Builder on Steam and other websites.

Does that still mean we can interact with UPE's code, and add anything we can make in Game Maker to it? e.g. Creating a boss fight that is made with entirely original code (nothing used from PB/UPE) which can still hurt and interact with the player, or stages that change their direction of gravity mid-way, or adding more background layers than normal PB can have, or making new effects like complex lighting and motion blur.
Currently Working on: a super, special, secret game thing (and Adventure Joruney: Origins)
Have a great day!

- Turqo

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 07:03:11 PM »
Again, I would not recommend purchasing the Game Maker and the UPE just so you can export .pbx files. There will likely be others who can do that for you. But if you are inclined to get all that stuff, you should know that Yoyo Games often runs a couple sales throughout the year for their products. You might be able to get Game Maker on sale.

If your sole purpose of getting Game Maker is for the UPE, I would recommend you wait to buy Game Maker until the UPE is released. There's always a 5% chance that the stuff I announce doesn't work out.
I'm thinking about it and if I buy GMS2, probably will not be only for using UPE. Maybe I can start creating games with GMS2 too!
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

Antikore

• Developing Mortal Theater at day, developing depression at night.
  • Level 22: Trex
  • Enjoying Platform Builder from the very start
    • View Profile
    • PBuilder Resources
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 10:07:51 PM »
You will show us any video or sneak peek about how it works before it's release or something?
Sorry because my English is not very good because I'm Spanish ;) :P

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2019, 11:38:47 PM »
Does that still mean we can interact with UPE's code, and add anything we can make in Game Maker to it? e.g. Creating a boss fight that is made with entirely original code (nothing used from PB/UPE) which can still hurt and interact with the player, or stages that change their direction of gravity mid-way, or adding more background layers than normal PB can have, or making new effects like complex lighting and motion blur.

Yes, theoretically, you could do any of that stuff for your games. But some of the things you mentioned would be difficult to do, especially since you are trying to interact with something you didn't code yourself. At some point it would make more sense to just build your game from the UPE without even using a .pbx file from Platform Builder.

You will show us any video or sneak peek about how it works before it's release or something?

Depends if I can afford the time to do that. But it would be fun. We'll see.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2019, 12:00:22 AM »
Just imagine how PB began! Before it was compiled to EXE it was a data file that could be opened from Game Maker Studio. Game Maker Studio like any game making software saves a project before a ready game. UPE basically would mean that TingThing gives us access to his own project source which was not compiled to EXE which so can be edited as TingThing would do.
UPE maybe just is a copy of PB that is edited to be a bit more limited for some copyright reasons but it sure would have everything needed for PB to work properly. There you can imagine what you will be able to with it. ;)

This of course means also that if you try to make something that TingThing have not been made because of its time cost and difficulty then you also would take over his hard job for your own project and you may rather quit it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:05:29 AM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 01:58:19 PM »
Ting, I was wondering if I could make a command, (or someone else) then call it from the PB engine when I edit the PBX using PB itself. Or an item effect, or some sort of modification. Can I only call those modifications through the UPE?

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 12:01:16 AM »
Ting, I was wondering if I could make a command, (or someone else) then call it from the PB engine when I edit the PBX using PB itself. Or an item effect, or some sort of modification. Can I only call those modifications through the UPE?

If I understand you right, then YES, you can do that. You could write a command in PB that does literally nothing in PB, export to the PBX, import the PBX into the UPE, and then modify the command code in the UPE to make that command do something.

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 05:10:00 PM »
I get it! What about a checkbox or option in a game setup room?

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 06:59:18 AM »
I get it! What about a checkbox or option in a game setup room?

What do you mean?

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 11:45:57 AM »
I mean, can we create a checkbox (like a character ability) using the UPE in Platform Builder? Instead of commands, I mean stuff like the selecting boxes that change your option every time it's clicked. Can we create those with the UPE?

TingThing

• Admin and Developer
    • View Profile
    • Platform Builder Home
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 04:15:56 PM »
I mean, can we create a checkbox (like a character ability) using the UPE in Platform Builder? Instead of commands, I mean stuff like the selecting boxes that change your option every time it's clicked. Can we create those with the UPE?

Why would you make a checkbox to change the character when you can just change the character yourself?

CGM

• Master Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 04:44:39 PM »
Hmm... You make a good point.

Alley

• The Blue Leader
  • Level 17: Clanker
  • Deals with art in PC and acting and drawing
    • View Profile
    • Team Alju5
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 05:00:29 PM »
I think you still don't imagine UPE very well. It is a source file which means you practically can have TingThing's incomplete and uncompiled version of PB. Just like you would use Game Maker to make your own games but you would send your data file to the others. One reason why the only developer can change the game is that he started the project and only he/she have it but this file can be shared with everyone.
This means if you get a source of PB modified copy you even can restore everything that TingThing will remove/change for us if you only are an expert enough. :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 05:02:13 PM by Alley »
Alley (T_Alj5)